1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rotor Phasing

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by jbcalhoun, Sep 12, 2005.

1. jbcalhoun

Has anyone figured out how to phase the rotor in a MSD Mag pickup distributor? This is not Crank Trigger. The mag puckup module needs to be moved and it has a notch in it and is not movable. I think I could slot the holes, grind off the notch and adjust it that way. Mine is way off.
    Any ideas?

Brad Calhoun

2. 93Trunk

MSD sells an adjustable cap called adapt-a-cap but it might be a Chevy part only. Haven't looked too much into it.

3. Injected65

Here is what we just did for my buddies car with a 351W. We took the disributor apart and got the main shaft stripped down. First we locked out the advance. Next we took plyers and broke off all of the tabs on the rotor. Then we chucked the shaft into a lathe and cut the rest of the rotor off the shaft. MSD sells a billet reluctor, part #8415. We took that rotor and drilled and tapped a hole in the side for an allen set screw. You can then fit that to the shaft and adjust it and lock the set screw down. Now for his crank trigger we broke/machined off all but on of those tabs, but for your you wont need to.

Chris

4. jbcalhoun

Injected 65 - That sounds very reasonable and easy to accomplish. Thanks for the heads up!

Brad Calhoun

5. Drlee50

i tore mine down as well, but i didnt get the billit reluctor wheel. i just pressed off the cast one that was on it and used a bit of 2000 grit sand paper and opened it up a tad and drilled and tapped it for a set screw. got it so it will spin on the shaft, but just a tad tight so it was easier to adjust. i was worried it would crack, but it didnt. infinately adjustable now.

6. Injected65

You know I have heard of that, but someone also mentioned that it might only work if on a 302 distributor instead of the 351. Unfortunately the only 3 I have done were 351's. It would definitely be worth checking into. Sounds like alot less work.

Chris