1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

pulling timing for boost builder

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by jmstekguy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jmstekguy

im gettin ready to take the car out again on friday and want to get my two step all figured out, the only question i had is regarding the timing retard in the msd digital 6 box how much timing should i pull, some people say run it to zero , some even into the negatives, what r u guys doing with your set ups

2. yellowpony

I see that you have an automatic in the car. Most auto's like to have timing left in them and a less fuel on the t-brake than a manual. I run 34* timing on mine up to 5psi and on the 2 step. Are you gonna be running c16 in it? Also, my car comes up best on the 2 step at 12.8-13.1 on the brake and 2 step. If you fatten the car up and pull timing from it while the rpm's climb to reach the 2 step, it may not even make enough power to push the converter to your set rpm. Play around with it and see what it likes.

Anthony

3. jmstekguy

thanks man, i did just that, i just played with the timing tables and found what it liked. the convertor could be a little looser i guess, it takes about 3-4 secs to hit the liimiter then it s 5 lb's pretty quick, ima try to run the way it is this year and next year maybe port the heads and get a little more power out of it down low so itll get on the convertor better

4. 99TTGT

mine it set up @ 0
    are you using the pink & blue wire out of the D6?

5. jmstekguy

yeah both of the triggers ( the two step and timing), i got it to creep up to the 3500rpm with the timing at 0, seems to work, im wrapping the hotside right now as i post this, see if i can get it to spool up a little quicker on the brake and to keep some of the under hood temps down...im already thinking of what i want to do for a new long block lol, mine only pulls to 6300 ish , that or get a smaller hotside AR, i will post some pics and vids from tomorow.

6. LowBoostinT76

Automatic=more timing, more timing more torque, more load on the converter quicker spool.

Manual trans=less timing (retarded timing). Manual transmissions can't place a load on the engine while free revving. Kinda like revving in neutral, no boost. Retarding the timing equals hotter exhaust gas temps, also it sends fuel out the exhaust that is still burning in the headers helping to spool the turbo(s).