1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

megasquirt with 42# injectors on tt ford 302

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by junkyard pony, Jun 20, 2010.

1. junkyard pony

edit-
    Ford 302 v8 stock longblock / ford racing b-cam
    edelbrock proformer upper and lower intake stock TB
    twin .63/.60 AR china junk turbos
    walbro 255lph/stock fuel system/aeromotive FPR/ ford racing 42# injectors (orange top)
    MS2 v3.57 board

finally got the car running enough to drive it to the gas station today...

the question i have is that i seem to be running lean, and the numbers in my VE table are beginning to be over 110 in the open throttle areas...

can these numbers be this high or do i need to increase my fuel pressure to add more fuel?

under required fuel, it has a calculator that is telling me to run the injectors with a 9.4 ms opening time... do i need to recalculate this for the twin turbos?

im running .63/.60 trim turbos....

i have inclueded the MSQ and the log for the run below if you can give me any pointers that would be amazing!

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Turbohwagon

I'm also running a similar sized injector (450cc) and MS-II and a 302 with a single remote mount. My req fuel is also 9.4ms so i think your alright there. Millhouse has a very similar setup, and i'm sure he'll be in here soon enough.

3. Matt Cramer

On turbo cars, it's not uncommon to have to plug in values over 100% into the VE table to keep the mixture rich enough. As long as you don't come close to the absolute maximum value of 255%, you're not going to run into any trouble.

4. junkyard pony

excellent! this is exactly what i was looking for... thanks fellas!!!!!!!

5. junkyard pony

so i thought it was the BOV leaking and purchased a tial with the appropriate psi spring for vacuum.....

I am still having issues poping sounds like rich backfiring... once i get over 6psi of boost. this translates to roughly 3000rpm...

i have tried to lean it out, richen it, increase timing, reduce timing and cant seem to get it to stop.

what should my timing be around... roughly... i know its a bad question. i pulled the plugs and they look as they should, no "salt and pepper" signs of detonation

on a ford 302 (5.0) stock long block t03 .63 a/r ... i have it at about 12* advance when full boost comes on (9psi)... should i be closer to 2*? -3*?
    im also running the stock TFI ignition.. i have a msd 6a box i need to hook up, but i wanted to get it straightened out with the stock ignition before hooking the new box up.

i am also gapped at .028, should i reduce the gap?

the strange thing is the injector duty cycle always seems to shoot through the roof at approximately the same moment

can anyone tell me what is going on from the logs? i try to tweak the bins in megalogviewer as a follow the graph but im just running out of ideas.

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

6. Turbohwagon

I am running a 6AL box with a MSD mag pickup distributor, i didn't gap the plugs, i just threw them in with whatever they had out of the box (I know i should gap them.) and i have about 21 degrees of advance. I'm remote mount with out an intercooler right now though. It doesn't sputter and its at about 11.5:1 AFR the whole time its under boost. I chose 21 degrees because IIRC alot of people lock their distributors out at 20, so i thought it should be a safe starting point. I'm still kind of a noob too, so I'm not sure how much i can help you.

I did notice on your log, your gVE sits at 119 from 112KPA up to 156KPA. My VE table (gVE) climbs from 128 @ 112KPA, to 153 @ 171KPA. However i'm using DSM 450cc injectors which are low imp. so i'm not sure what kind of a difference it makes from a green top 42lb/hr to my injectors. ALSO, just looking at your AFR target table, maybe you have it setup as lambda, but from what i see seems kinda wierd....

After seeing your duty cycle, it made me wonder what mine was at. I checked it and it turns out at the top of 3rd gear @ 10psi max i'm at 101%. I think i'll be needing bigger injectors now lol.

7. junkyard pony

i moved on to 21* at the high end of the spark table.. it makes it better, but it didnt resolve the issue.

im gunna regap the plugs to .023 to see if that makes a difference...

im starting to think the wastegates might be leaking, i cant think of much else...

im probably gunna reflash the ecu and see what that does as well....

8. 93gtman

what is your base fuel press set to? i have 42lb injectors with my setup which is a 306 tfs h/i/c and a b&g kit with a t-67 tubo and my upper area of my table is around 145-150ish granted that puts my AFRs at 10psi in the 10's which is very safe but it should really be around 11.0 to 11.3. and i have autolite 3923's i think and they are gapped to .28. what size fuel pump(i have a single 255 in tank) are you running and what plugs are you running did you pull any to check them?

9. dieselgeek

junkyard pony, what you're describing sounds like spark blowout, or tach signal loss to me. I can't open your MSQ so I can't even tell what version of MS you run.

If it's MS1 or MS1-Extra, make sure your trigger angle is below 20 degrees, or above 50. TFI distributor should be a low number, under 20.

Do your logs show tach spikes or dropouts when the misfire occurs? If not, then it's almost for sure an ignition problem. If there are spikes or dropouts, you need to focus on how that noise is getting into your tach input.

10. junkyard pony

the base fuel pressure i am running is 40psi at atmospheric (no vacuum) i am running an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator on stock rails. it runs +1psi for every +1 psi in the intake (1:1 boost)

i have a 255lph walbro in tank pump using stock lines and rails...

dieselgeek i am running MS-2... i have the ignition options setup like the guys say at diyautotune...

i am using the stock ignition system. i need to hook up the MSD6a i have...

trigger angle? i have it set to 10 degrees.....

i am not seeing any tach spikes, but i do see the MAP bounce around... which is what was leading me to think its an intake leak.

i havent touched the car since i posted last, i need to fix oil leaks first before i drive it again...

should be done with the oil system this week so i will have more for yall next week.

damn when they said 'project' i didnt think they really meant it ha! :bang:

i am including pictures of the log... the first two look normal, comparing MAP rpm and TPS...

the third one you can see the map sensor fluctuating..........

its crazy!

thanks again for the help all!

log.jpg #ad

log2.jpg #ad

flutter.jpg #ad

11. dieselgeek

Your logs look *good* - excellent tach signal, you did a good install.

This is almost certainly an ignition issue downstream of you EMS> Don't worry about the MAP fluctuations, that'll happen when you have misfire sometimes. Stock TFI ignition can be weak, but you should also look at cap, rotor, wires, etc. If you do wire up an MSD box, make sure NOT to wire it to the TFI module, but directly to the spark output of your MS so that you can take advantage of spark cut rev limiters, 2-step, boost builder, etc.

12. junkyard pony

this is a good thing to know! i think i am still having noise issues due to the random spikes in the log, i have an idea where that is happening...

i will wire up the MSD and see where that gets me.....

what should i use for spark duration and those options? i know i am supposed to turn the dwell and duratiion up to 25.5, are there other settings i should use as well?

thanks!