1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSII Mustang idle surge and shut off

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 302f150, May 26, 2011.

1. 302f150

I just installed my megasquirt II today, I got it to run, but it surges from around 800-1500 rpms constantly and sometimes shuts off. I tried using VE_Live to auto tune it and I think it made it worse honestly. I've used binary Editor but I can't find my way through tunerstudio well yet. Is there any sort of target idle setting? Using the factory pwm valve. Here are my tune aqnd a datalog.

Attached Files:

2. 302f150

Just an update, I reset the VE tables to the base table from the DIYAutorune website. It is doing better, I actually drove it around the neighborhood and cruised at various rpms up to about 2500 with VE_live enabled. It is getting pretty close already as far as the AFR and all goes for cruising. The idle still surges really bad when i clutch in and let it drop. Would the hysteresis on the PWM setting have anything to do with the idle surge? Not really sure where to start on it

3. Turbohwagon

Mine will surge a little but it usually smooths out quickly. I think I adjusted my idle screw when I first started it up and it surged.

4. 302f150

I had a moates quarterhorse on it and it ran fine. I swapped over to the megasquirt and changed nothing else(within a couple hours of the car running like normal to move it). I wouldn't think I'd need to adjust the throttle plate, I'm sure it's in the tune somewhere, jus tnot familiar enough with the software yet I guess

5. sweat90lx

is this when it first starts up? warmup enrichment

6. 302f150

Nope, does it no matter how long it runs. I just realized I loaded MS2 firmware, not MS2/Extra, so I don't have most of the PWM control settings. Tomorrow I'm reflashing the computer with extra code and starting over

7. sweat90lx

hope that fixes it. I havnt got mine wired up yet. need to get off my ass :D

8. 93gtman

did you load the MS2 extra code yet? Do you have a log of the surge you can post?

9. 302f150

Yes and yes, here is a log of me driving around town some. The first minute or so has the surge, it's also in there several other places. The last couple minutes I took a decent stab at the throttle, it is going really rich on the accel, I tried reducing cold accel settings but I don't think it made much difference. If you have any input on the surging or the super rich accel(i saw it hit 9's and it would stumble some) I would greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

10. 93gtman

what wideband are you using btw

11. 93gtman

first off your warm up enrichment looks like its still on based on the logs. Your log starts with the car at 200* and if you look at the lower right had corner in MLV you will see the "WARM" light is on that mean the WUE is still running. And in your MSQ in your WUE area you have 160* set to 90 for it to be off it has to be at 100 i would start with that first . Also according to you Voltage your are getting 1 volt + swings. Which will calm down a bit once you get the car to idle steady but i recommend wiring your MS power to the Battery using a relay and also wiring the ground to the batt as well--I did this and my voltage is rock steady and believe it or not it does affect your tune.
    But first fix the WUE settings then send me another log and let me know what Wideband you have so i can select it in MLV and we can shoot for 13.8-14.0 at idle and go from there

btw did you calibrate all your sensor in MS First after you installed the MS2 Extra Code?

12. 93gtman

I have made the changes to your WUE so that it is off after 160...I also set your idle control to Warm up only for now This way you can get it to idle normal first before using the closed loop idle control. and I changed your AFR table in the idle area to 13.8.I also changed the idle area of your VE table to all one number to start (33) with that number it maybe a little rich or a tad lean depending your setup but its a good starting point .I have attached the MSQ try this first and let me know if its any better. But make sure before you make any changes to the VE you are out of WARMUP mode first also post a log once you are out of warm up mode and we can go from there
    Hope this helps

Attached Files:

13. 93gtman

I just looked at you MSQ again and saw you had AE on and i would leave that off until the ve is nailed down also fixed your afr table some more in the cruise areas use this one instead of the one i posted above.

Attached Files:

14. 302f150

Thanks a ton for all the help. I have an innovate lc-1 for the wideband. I bought the db-1 setup and megasquirt readings match the gauge so I believe that part is fine. I started the log after changing the accel settings when it was warmed up. I noticed wue was always on but i didn't know why. I have a taurus fan and a one wire alternator, so at idle I've always had some voltage drop issues... I did go through and recalibrate my tps sensor, ect and iat sensors, and selected the innovate lc1 controller as the wideband sensor. I had the target idle a little leaner because the car seemed to like it with the moates quarterhorse. With it a little rich it was prone to idle surging, but it might have been in the control theory ford used.

15. 93gtman

I guess try the msq I changed for you and let me know if its any better..keep me posted

16. 302f150

to disable accel enrichment i just set the rpm threshold higher than what ill drive in correct?

17. 93gtman

In the msq above that I changed for you I disabled it already.

18. 302f150

Okay, here is another log, starting after the car warmed up. Still surging at idle but i got it to stop shutting off by raising the idle pwm duty cycle. At this point what else can I do to make it stop surging? I attached my tune and log

Attached Files:

19. 93gtman

I will take a look today

20. 93gtman

Sorry didn't get a chance to look at it this weekend was at a ton of bbq's this weekened
    I will check it out today