1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Megasquirt newbie needing some advice

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 50VOLVO, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 50VOLVO

. Long story short, i have a turbo'd 306 running on megasquirt. Car runs, and runs pretty well. I have it tuned fairly rich for safety's sake at this point. Now thats great for boost, but not so great for gas mileage. Now i know a boosted v8 wont be a shocker in the MPG department. However, i'm going through six gallons of gas in under an hour, out of boost just cruising. Attached is my fuel ve table. Any advise/criticism you guys have would be welcomed. Also my setup is as follows.

trw pistons
    e303 cam
    gt40 heads
    52lb injectors
    255gph fuel pump
    t04b

in a volvo haha.

-Mick

http://a.imageshack.us/img833/6077/fueltable.jpg

2. wesk

What MS (hardware and firmware)?

3. 50VOLVO

firmware is hires 10g. i will check which megasquirt version it is when i get home. Thanks!

-Mick

4. Millhouse

You don't need to run rich for safety sake anywhere but in boost. When running close to 100kpa you should be tuning for 12.5:1 and while under light load 14.7:1. Your idle will depend greatly on your cam, but generally you'll run anywhere from 12.5 (heavy lope, rich) to 14.7 (stock cam). Everywhere else will be a blend in-between.

Are you using a wideband?

5. 50VOLVO

i am using a wideband, i'm tuning for 15-16:1 during cruise, but when i do that i get super lean at throttle tip in. in boost i'm right about 12:1. i have a pretty good feeling my injectors are wwwaayy to big for my setup

6. ashford

you're putting too much resolution in the boost area and not enough below 100kpa try 5 bins in boost and 7 in vacuum.

7. 50VOLVO

Thanks for the reply/advice! i will give it a shot when i get home tonight and report back!

8. 50VOLVO

I haven't had a chance to try your advice yet as my transmission ate itself on the way home yesterday. Hooray for AOD