1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Runs rich on startup and other issues.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 79fairmont, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 79fairmont

I finally got my 95 up and running. Let me do a rundown on the combination. Its a 342 cu in engine. 10.5.1 compression, Has a tight lash solid roller camshaft lobe separation 114, Duration @ .050 int 237 ex 243, gross lift int .625, ex .609. It has a trick flow track heat upper and lower intake. Victor Jr heads, harland sharp rockers, Stock fox throttle body, It has 80lb ford racing injectors. It has a 67mm turbo. Now onto the interesting things, the car is running a ford racing eec harness. Its got an a9l processor. Its being tuned with sct software. Now onto the issues when started cold it shows a 11.2 ish a/f ratio. There is no way in the sct software to subtract fuel on cold start only to add it. I've talked with sct and that got me just about no where. I have questions is some of this due to the solid roller changing lash? We are datalogging with a sneec and all sensors seem to be working and reading correctly. The other weird issues is it doesn't seem to want to idle in the 14's happily. It will sort of idle nervously and stall out. If we lean it out and it's 16.8 to 18.0 it will idle all day? The wideband is reading right after the turbo. The car will not idle until it warms up. I have tried a new idle air control motor and searched for vacuum leaks.

2. 95turbomustang

What is your base timing, fuel pressure, and also what does your tps read?

3. 79fairmont

10 degrees base (spout out), fuel pressure is 38 psi with vacuum line off, and tps is .92-.94.

4. underpsi68

Let the motor idle where it wants to. If your cam has a lot of overlap than you are getting unburnt oxygen in the exhaust which will show a lean condition.

5. 79fairmont

Okay but what can be done about the rich startup?

6. Lingles Total Performance

What kind of SCT software are you using? I have a 95' cobra mustang, 306 c.i. H/C/I, single 70mm turbo, 42# injectors & factory ECU harness but with a J4J1 95' cobra ECU not an A9L. Im having the same problems your having. When I fire my car up on a cold start or initial start after sitting over nite it does exactly what yours does, it runs in the 11.0 - 11.5 range on the wideband, it will idle for about 2 seconds then shutoff. Only when i get heat in the motor does it fire up & idle without any problems. I havent taken my car to my tuner yet to have a chip burt but what your explaining seems to be an injector pulse issue. You should be able to slow the injector pulse down on cold starts to cure your problem.