1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MegaSquirt dwell/coil setting etc...

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Mike SVOR, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mike SVOR

Can someone please provide me with the proper coil settings I should enter for this coil? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5527/

I'm having a shitty time with my megasquirt. Now my car won't rev above 3K rpm.
    I saw the tach jumping around near the 3k rpm mark and now it won't rev up. I bought this new coil and want to be sure i'm setting it up correctly and don't burn it up.

351w boosted.

Does it depend on who made the unit??

2. Mike SVOR

3. Matt Cramer

Re: MegaSquirt dwell/coil setting

If the coil is being driven by the MegaSquirt, and not an MSD box or TFI module, use 5.5 ms. I got that number by plugging in the coil specs (and an 8 amp current) into the MegaSquirt dwell calculator here:

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/configure.htm#dwell

4. Mike SVOR

Ok, the problem was my dwell was too high. I set it to 3.5 and spark duration to 1.5. Now it revs up.

I am having one hell of a time getting this computer tuned.
    Part throttle driving, it kicks and bucks like its down a few cylinders. As soon as I crack the throttle more it clears out under mild load.
    Like say driving 45mph in 4th gear, it'll run rough. As soon as I accelerate slightly it'll go away and run smooth. I've tried the full range of O2 settings from 12:1 to 15:1 and it still does it around 1800 rpm.

Other problem is, I can't figure out the acceleration enrichment function for the life of me. I thought it would be like a squirter cam on a carb, but its just not responding to whatever shape I make the graph. I still get the 'fuhhh-tuhhhh' rev. The fuel enrichment light comes on but its like it has very little affect.

sooo frusterated atm.
    if anyone can help i'd appreciate it

5. Matt Cramer

Could you post a copy of the current tune and a data log of the problems you're having? That would be a major help.

6. Mike SVOR

I can post current tune tomorrow when I can get a datalog.

1. do you have any examples of what the settings for a proper acceleration graph and numbers should look like?

2. This morning when I tried to drive it, the tach was dropping 1k rpm and bouncing when I reved it to around 2800 rpm. I changed to fixed timing and set it to 25 degrees and it went away. Any clue on that?

7. Matt Cramer

It's kind of hard to explain what to look for in a data log. Here's my best stab at it:

1. The air/fuel ratio needs to be at a good spot for your MAP and RPM range and shouldn't spike during sudden changes in load.

2. The other sensors need to obey common sense. RPM shouldn't jump 2000 RPM from one sample to another. Temperature sensors need to give sane readings. Any amount these readings change should be about what the physical thing that's driving the sensor should change in 1/10 of a second or so.

3. Fuel and spark shouldn't indicate a cutout, abrupt retard, or other signs you've pushed the ECU to do something to shut down or slow down the engine.