1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Megasquirt and blow thru?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Born2Ride, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Born2Ride

So im building an LS and blow thru setup. Motor is done,carb is built,turbo system is plumbed,just waiting for the transmission to be completed and shipped. My question is I wanted to run a MS3PRO for timing,boost control,2 step,bump,display gauges,etc,etc. Can I just enable the fuel injection in the MS and everything else function as planned? The way I see it I will have the same money buying multiple boxes for everything instead of just doing the MS.

2. 64nailhead

I don't see why not. You could use the fuel pump trigger from the MS. The only thing you're going to lose is live AFR feedback and knowing exactly where you fuel is in the datalogs.

I have to ask why, thinking that I know the answer though - you can handle a carb?

3. Born2Ride

Yea im running dual in-tank fuel pumps,so I want to use one output to control the 2nd fuel pump during boost.I also have a LC2 wideband to log afr and send back to the MS. Ive had a few boosted cars,so no stranger to fuel injection,but wanted to go the carb/E85 route on this build. I spent the money for a purpose built carb,so hopefully I wont have alot of trouble dialing in the fuel. But like I mentioned if the MS3 will function with no injectors that route will save me alot of money and clutter versus buying a bunch of separate boxes.

4. ss496

Yes it should....I am in the middle of doing the same thing now with an ignition only microsquirt on a LS coil SBC

around the same price as a 6530 (vs microsquirt) and far more capability and room for expansion...not to mention datalogging and safeties

5. Drac0nic

Not doing it with an LS, but I'm using an MS1 to control HEI in my Lemans and intend to do such when I get the Holley built up.

6. ss496

When did pontiac have a computer controlled HEI?....I thought by the time the CC HEI was out all the pontiacs were powered by chevys or 307 olds?

7. Drac0nic

1981 301 Turbo distributor. Don't tell anyone I'm not dangerous with a parts book. =D

8. Forcefed86

Are you sure why you'd want the MS3pro for that? The plain old MS3 for about $600 and will do everything you mentioned.

9. Born2Ride

Main reason is so I will have enough inputs/outputs since I will use it to control fuel pumps,water/meth injection,cooling fans,etc,etc. Plus the MS3 requires an extra harness for the LS and its flying lead were the Pro is offered with a drop on plug and play harness for the LS. I have not cut any corners to save a few dollars on anything so far,im sure its all over kill but id rather it be that way.

10. Forcefed86

You can get the plug and play LS harness ms3 for $1200 from efisource it will do all your wanting and more.

11. Born2Ride

I have not considered the gold box,because honestly I hear the support just is not there from efisource,way more help and support for the Pro or any box from AMP or DIY. Plus the drop on harness from efisource is not the quality the Pro harness is. Just my opinion from what ive heard from people that have dealt with both.

12. ss496

I cant speak for EFI source support since I do not have any first hand experience with them.

I CAN speak for DIY since I DO have first hand experience with them......All my questions were answered BEFORE I even spent a dime with them. I wanted to make sure it would work for one of my previous projects. I have been a repeat customer as well. ZERO complaints, only praise.

13. Forcefed86

Regardless of where you buy the hardware, the MS platform is open source. So far I’ve been able to get all the help I needed on the MS extra forums. I’ve used/installed 3 gold box setups now and they have all been great. I’ve run the DIY autotune MS3x boxes and MS3pro as well… Again great ecu’s with little to no hardware issues. Basically all the same thing IMO. I actually run a Canadian made MS3x ecu and harness on my race car...

The MS3pro is great. I was only pointing out that the MS3 box would do everything you listed and more for less $. Many aren’t aware of that.

Can't go wrong either way...

Good luck!