1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mega squirt gold box vs ms3 pro plug and play

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ccoxva, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ccoxva

Hey guys I'm getting to the point with my build that I'm ready for some sort of engine management. 1954 belair, 5.3 tick stage 3 turbo grind, deka 80's, stock truck intake, s475 110.turbo400 circle d. I have met both companies at the megasquirt meet and now I am more confused than before. The company is divided efi source and DIY Auto tune. Neither side get along and one accuses the other of stealing patented ideas from the other. The gold box with the plug and play harness is 1300. The DIY ms3 is waterproof box and a nicer harness and more compact is 1600 and is coming out next month. Anyone with any help with this decision will be appreciated. Honestly after the mega meet I would almost consider adding some money and going holley.....:confused:

2. Matt Cramer

Yes, there is a bit of a rivalry between DIYAutoTune.com (which I work for) and EFI Source. As a practical matter, the main effect for you, the customer, is that you will need to get support from the same outfit you buy your system from as (1) we're competing companies and do not make any money off the sale of the other's system, and (2) neither side has the others' schematics and full support information. You wouldn't expect to get support for a FAST system from Holley, but we sometimes have people expecting us to support an MS3 Gold or EFI Source's MicroSquirt LS1 package because they're both in the MegaSquirt line. We have five full time support people on our staff - Jerry introduced the crew at the MegaMeet. I'll be glad to answer any questions about the MS3-Pro and its harness. I have been using my '72 Chevy pickup with a 4.8 swap for R&D on this one.

3. ccoxva

Thanks for the reply Matt. Is there a startup tune already programmed for ls setups?

4. Matt Cramer

The drop on harness package will come with a base tune. We'll start with one off my truck (with versions scaled for larger engines as well) and add more maps as time allows.

5. 64nailhead

ccoxva,
    DIYautoune's customer service is excellent. Matt & co. have worked me through 5 or 6 different situations with my MS2. Responses are always the following day and beyond helpful. And if I don't understand, then they do not give up. I have never dealt with EFIsource and I've never heard anything bad about them, but DIY's site is more informative.

My two cents and good luck - Jim

6. ss496

Im not even a DIYautotune customer (yet)...but Matt has answered multiple questions (on this forum) I have had about megasquirt for when I have been "mind building". When (not if) I will be purchasing my megasquirt stuff through them.

7. sn 95guy

Matt has always helped me even when I had megasquirt 5-6 years ago. He and the support they offer at DIY are the reason I'll be going back this winter..

8. Disney Lincoln

Agreed. I can't say enough about DIYAutotune.com customer support. Forums, Phone, Email, they will get you fixed up. And they KNOW their stuff. I can honestly say i've not seen the other company post any helpful tech. Anywhere. DIY's Matt Cramer is EVERYWHERE. He's on all the major forums, he's very active in the MS forums, and always available to email tech. For that reason alone, I have chosen DIYAutotune.com for all of my MS and EFI needs.

9. ccoxva

Well it's sounding like DIY is going to be the ticket. I haven't done anything yet because of illness with my dad but it wont be long now. Thanks for all the replies!

10. sn 95guy

Yea hi can't vouch for the others, but Matt spent many hours a few years back basically teaching me how to do the TIP120 kit on my ms2 board and basically how to wire my engine bay lol..

11. ccoxva

Really the reason I was considering Gold box was the price. The box and harness,80 lb dekas and the 3 bar map, shipping and free t shirt (they said it had to be xl or xxl) lol is the price of DIY box and harness alone.I hate decisions. Lol Thanks for the replies and help guys!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015