1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mega squirt 1 injector question

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by racerron67, Feb 20, 2014.

1. racerron67

I have a question on the amount of squirts per cycles. changing from 2 to 4 squirts per revolution, will that add twice the amount of fuel to each cylinder or does it divide the fuel by 2?

2. racerron67

or should I say, less fuel with each squirt @ 4 squirts per revolution

3. ashford

it doubles the frequency and halves the pw

4. racerron67

so if im right that wont increase the total amount of fuel per revolution. some people say by giving the engine more squirts it allows the engine to idle lower. my engine has a mega squirt 1 and it wont idle below 1000 rpm. I have cleaned the injectors (they are 160 lb white tops because I am running e85 gas), new spark plugs, adjusted the spark timing and calibrated the tps nothing made a difference . I know that batch fire injectors will not idle as low as sequential. any help. my motor is a 410ci Windsor,9.5 to 1 cr with a 95mm turbo, decent size solid roller cam with a 114 lsa using a msd 7531 to take care of the spark. mega squirt is triggered off the tach output on the msd box. I did noticed that one of the spark plugs is whiter than the others .the motor seam to rev good. any help.

5. ashford

it may be impossible to get a "good" idle with that size injector. this is a rather large topic, so i will give guidelines.

i don't like running 2 squirts alt on a v8 as fuel distribution gets affected

if changing to 4 or 8 squirts from 2 changes fueling, that means injector dead time is inacurate, the more squirts to more the error affect it

increasing squirts means more deadtime is used per dutycycle, ie the max flow(controlable) of the injector is decreased.

increasing squirts makes the actual pw injector is spraying smaller, in your case probably in the non linear area of the slope.

ms1 does not have the resolution of the ms2/ms3. the "steps" in resolution when idle will likely be to coarse to keep a steady afr

6. racerron67

that is probably why I'm getting some cylinders running lean some running rich. how many squirts per revolution would you set it on a v8 or do you have any other suggestions

7. racerron67

will the air fuel distribution get better as rpm increases

8. Drac0nic

If you don't mind me asking, the idle won't go down or it won't act stable when it goes down in RPM? Could be a dead time issue if it acts unstable when you're at a lower RPM. The reason you want to manipulate the number of squirts a cycle and the simultaneous or alternating options is to try and get the reqfuel value down to a decent level. In your case I'd do a lower number of squirts per cycle and go to alternating if at all plausible. I've always heard 160s can be a bitch to get to idle right. They were originally CNG injectors so everyone using them for liquid fuels is somewhat of a kludge.

9. racerron67

yes you're right about being unstable. I think if i want i to idle lowef a have to go to a mega squirt 3

10. racerron67

What does cng stand for? As far as the large injectors go as long as when the engine stats making hp it will distribute fuel more evenlly.

11. Drac0nic

Compressed Natural Gas which was the common source of these injectors.

12. ashford

its hard to describe, on my car i did run 2 squirts alternating at first and noticed the motor ran smoother with 4 squirts alt. the best i can explain it is that the pulses are far enough apart and at different parts of the stroke per cylinder that fuel gets "stolen" between cylinders. this may just be only present on a carb style intake, it had little effect on an efi long runner intake.

13. racerron67

I understand what you mean. I will try 4 squirts. as long as it will not cause a lean condition once the engine starts making power (not to cause dentation). can you run low impedance injectors on the ms3 sequinchely ?

14. ashford

15. racerron67

Ok. is that pH wired to the megasquirt 3 and you mount that inside the box or outside?

16. ashford

there are several different flavors, choose one

17. JKK

maybe you know this already.. but be carefull not to make your req fuel number too low or you end up having trouble with the cold start and cold enrichment settings!!

18. racerron67

ok thanks for the info