1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Putting pistons in backwards

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by H.P.Ranch, Dec 31, 2013.

1. H.P.Ranch

Any LS guys tried this yet for more HP.

2. Krandmar

Is this about rist pin offset?

3. H.P.Ranch

YES it is.

4. Krandmar

I don't know about the specifics of an LS but in the 70's that was a trick we sometimes did on SBCs. The reverse offset wrist pins set up did seem to make a little noise. I don't know it was a good change or not. Lots of aftermarket pistons skip the offset so the pistons are not dedicated to one side of the engine.

5. 55Chevy

Wouldn't there be an increase in the side loading of the cylinder if you reversed the pistons? I guess my question would be "Why" the engineers offset piston pins in the first place? There must have been a mechanical advantage for the offset. JD

6. Krandmar

From memory, the offset is only to reduce noise. The factory offset give slightly less mechanical advantage for transmitting the piston’s force to the crank. Eliminating or reversing the wrist pin offset was claimed to give a slight mechanical advantage. IIRC there was something like 1% gains claimed on a high performance SBC.

7. H.P.Ranch

Also less thrust less resistance more HP. At the Ranch. Welcome Race Fans!!! :joyous:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013