1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

May buy a mustang 331ci, 67mm turbo. is it capable of 600rwhp or BS??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Twstedstang, May 5, 2012.

1. Twstedstang

Hi im new to the site and forced induction in general, I currently own a 90 mustang with a 351w n/a that I built over the last 4 years myself for drag racing (low 12 second car).

Im looking at buying a completely done low 10 second street car, I checked out this one mustang a couple days ago and was wondering if the set up he had was any good.

specs:

-91 mustang
    -D.S.S built 331 stroker
    -HP 67mm turbo kit
    -aluminum block, forged internals
    -8.5:1 compression
    -cam was .544/.544 lift, 218/220 duration @ .050", 112 lobe sep
    -trickflow heads 2.08/1.90 valves
    -60lb injectors i think

not going to go into detail about the trans or rear end but they are bullet proof for 10 second passes from my knowledge.

He had it dyno tuned (kind of crappy tune he was saying) at only 9psi on 91 octane and it made 440rwhp @ 5100rpm.. he's planning on getting the car dyno tuned again at 13psi and claims it should make 550-600rwhp on the same octane.

so main questions:
    -just wondering if his set up would make those numbers?
    -i dont understand why the car fell flat on its face for HP at only 5100rpm before (seems super low to me)?
    -he said the turbo is only good for 16psi, would this be true?
    -on the test drive the car pulled crazy hard in 1st and 2nd gear but the wastegate hose kept coming off because it wasn't secured down so in 3rd and 4th gear it would feel slow and sputter/stick at 4200rpm. would just the wastegate hose cause all this?

Thanks in advance, i know a lot of questions but as i said im new to anything forced induction.

2. BreakDancer

Normally I would agree with buying a car that's ready to go but not in this case.

1 It does not sound like the car is ready to go

2 you have a built car with a 351 already.

Turbo what you got.

3. Twstedstang

my car has lots of rust and a beat up shortblock, I don't have the time to build anymore with my job. that's the only reason I'm looking at a finished car that is mint condition and a lot faster.

He said he would have all the problems fixed next weekend at the dyno since he just finished the build a little while ago. so can test drive and look it over again.

4. PrecisionTurboMustang

That block is it?

5. Twstedstang

That's it for aluminum you mean? Or i didnt go into detail? Pretty much everything is aluminum on the car.. flywheel, driveshaft, heads, intake. Forged crank, forged pistons, H beam rods. 2 bolt main with girdle.

6. BreakDancer

You spent 4 years building a rust bucket with a shit engine?

7. Mnlx

Maybe.......... what block is it?

8. turboplymouth

I believe the wastegate line could cause that, I'd be a little skeptical. Its been on a dyno already and that kind of thing is happening now???

9. turboplymouth

This should tell everyone something... I would stay away.

10. PrecisionTurboMustang

No magic amount of fairy dust dss sprinkles on a stock block is going to make it live at 600 whp.

11. Twstedstang

It's NOT a stock block. Since when do they make stock aluminum blocks for foxes. It's aftermarket

12. Twstedstang

well Im 20 years old now. Money doesn't come fast when your a teenager. So yes I built a reasonably fast car with the money I had.

13. Mnlx

I thought all the aftermarket alum blocks would be 4 bolt mains........ All the Darts that I have seen are, does ford market an alum block? The wastegate line doesnt make sense to me unless it has some sort of overboost protection, or just breaks up because of the boost level. Just make sure you know what you are buying, its easy to make claims of whats inside.

14. Twstedstang

He has the DSS engine build sheet (it was professionally built by DSS) I just skimmed through it quickly when i was checking the car out. If I'm actually going to buy the car I'd read it word for word as well as ask to see all his other $45,000 worth of receipts for parts.

he had like 4 other fox body mustangs in the driveway too so these receipts could be for any car. its hard to check the internals of the rear end etc when buying a car lol

EDIT: went on to DSS RACING website and they have a 'cost alternative pro bullet block' thats aluminum and a 2 bolt main re-enforced. its been proven used in lots of mid to low 10 second street / strip cars for the past 20 years blah blah blah

15. Mnlx

Do you have a link to this.... I looked but no luck.

16. ThomasWPT

I have a 331 ci combo with AFR 185 heads, mild HR cam, 9:1 comp, twin t3t4e 50 trim turbos, and I made 563 rwhp at 13.5 psi thru an AOD on a Mustang dyno. My combo is not that different than the one you are looking at but I have a Dart block to make it last. If it were me, I wouldn't even consider a 2 bolt main 331 at 600 rwhp, I don't care if it has a girdle. Why someone would spend money on an aluminum block that was 2 bolt main is beyond me.

17. cat herder

Every search result on the DSS site for 'aluminum block' also has the word 'modular' in the title.

Another thing that doesn't exist.

18. BreakDancer

I think its time for some pics and or a link to the car. There are a bunch of extremely knowledgeable people on the worlds #1 turbo forum saying that shit he's advertising does not exist.

19. Twstedstang