1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

440 E street heads

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbocoronet, Mar 4, 2011.

1. turbocoronet

Found them on the Edelbrock site but no prices yet. The specs in the catalog show them to be same but maybe different springs. Supposedly they aren't hand blended in the bowls to save some labour costs but not much info out there yet. Anyone heard any more about them?

2. CW25

Don't know anything about it but don't you have good heads on that motor?

3. turbocoronet

Nope. The heads on this thing are 452's with the stock valves. I've done lots of porting work on them but I think there is a ton of room for improvement with a good set of heads. The 45lb. weight loss wouldn't hurt also. Would be nice to make more power without pushing it to the edge. On pump gas I've gone as high as 14lbs. boost at 28 degrees timing with water/meth injection. Not enough guts to go higher.

4. CW25

5. furious70

I think they are just straight plug adaptations, right? I would think they'd be similar to the 440source heads.

6. Sinatra

A couple of things worth remembering:

A) All else being equal, iron heads make a ton more power than aluminum. Aluminum's lighter weight does not overcome the power deficiency; switching to aluminum means bumping compression (or boost) to maintain the same power level. Racers love aluminum not for the light weight, but for its repairability.

B) Staying with a stock port window (valvetrain) means you're dealing with the same limitations as stock iron heads, should you take them to the limit.

Rule A is simple thermodynamics, and Rule B is just a fact of dimensions. No matter how good the aftermarket manufacturer, neither can be overcome.

7. turbocoronet

Damn. That sure took the fun out of cyber shopping.