1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mate finally went to the track

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbo hemi, Jul 1, 2010.

1. turbo hemi

Well last nite I went to the track with a mate of mine with his rambler hornet with a 360 in it and late last year I fitted a 80mm billet turbo on. It is a fairly mild 360 with j heads stock crank, rods, old trw pistons and a 1000hp holley that I modded. Before now, we have only been driving it on the street. It has 10 lbs of boost no controler just a bleed valve. First past he was foot breaking and driving thru the brakes at 2800rpm and 0" of vac it went 10.95 @ 128 with a 1.89 60' the second was another foot brake pas but pushing harder on the brakes managed 1lbs before driving thru and managed a [email protected] with a 1.83 60'. The next pass he decided to use the trans brake and stalled it to 5000rpm and 8lbs of boost and then bang! He got a so called chassis bulder to shorten the diff but they only used about 3.5mm tube for housing. Well not really strong enough! It collapsed at the spring pads then rotated, broke the center pins that hold the sping pack together haven't pulled the gearbox yet but the output shaft is bent and it spins like it's snapped.

2. CW25

5000 launch on a test pass. Damn get that thing on a 2 step at 3500 and work your way up. Good runs for the foot brake though. :2thumbs:

3. furious70

my eyes just got bigger and bigger as I read on. That was one brave dude, but I guess if a 5000rpm 'brake launch is the eventual goal, might as well see what breaks when you do it up front :p

4. rdakota340

That is one bad a$$ test run it's got potential you think :bow:

5. turbo hemi

thanks for the kind words, I tried to tell him to leave on around 3500-4000 and about 4-5 lbs but I still didn't think it should have done what it did. Here is a couple of pic's of the diff, got the box out but haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet.

diff 1.jpg #ad

diff 2.jpg #ad

6. 67 tuff -dart

That seems like an odd failure point. Is that common on big HP leaf spring set ups? Or just from your friend launching too hard on it? Or I guess you mentioned the gauge of tubing used as well is suspect.
    Nice numbers anyways!!

7. bgjohnson

That's a hell of a failure!!

8. turbo hemi

I think it was mainly the thin tube, it hasn't got that much power yet

9. TT_05_Stang

Thin tubing and some serious axle wrap

10. turbo hemi

yep after it crushed the tubes the pinion went staight up and locked up the rear uni and then snaped the output shaft. :chacha:

11. Adrian

8 3/4? The axle tubes are pretty thin and tend to show on heavy hitting leaf cars. Still some nice numbers. What kind of 60 ft. on the foot brake? What gears?

12. turbo hemi

3.50:1, f100 9", but someone put thin tubes in it. it has 275 et street radials.
    I pulled the 727 apart and found the output shaft in two pieces everything else looks mint :chacha: so an easy fix for the gearbox.

output shaft.jpg #ad

13. turbo hemi

Well we got the car going again new diff housing, and output shaft and now with a two step. On the first pass he left with a 3300 chip and went 10.4 then we went up to a 3500 chip and it went 10.2, then we put a 3700 chip and went 10.1, then 3900 with a 10.03 then with no more chips he went out again and managed a 9.97 @ 137 going to get some 4000 range chips and go back soon the diff is still working and so is everything else :chacha:

14. BoostedDownUnder

Good stuff Jason, was pretty stoked to hear he ran a nine! I need to hurry up and get some boost!

15. turbo hemi

Thanks Aaron, :cheers: yes you'll have to get it going you'll never look back!

16. turbofreek

a stock 360? with how much boost? What kind of cam? How much did the car weight?

17. eades5.0

Congrats!!

-Chris

18. 10secgoal

19. daithi2

9's! very nice, is block partial filled? i had one of the first LA360's with the higher nickel it took some punishment until waterpump failure

20. Mark8

What does the car weigh? and what is the top mph? that is bad ass on mostly stock stuff I effin dig it.