1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

boost VS timing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by THEBIGT, Aug 20, 2009.

1. THEBIGT

What is easier on the engine more boost less timing or more timing less boost ??

2. Marty Staggs

That is a VERY good question. :2thumbs:

3. THEBIGT

I have been running 18* and 12-15 lbs and have been replacing head gasket ever since, now I am running 15lbs and 12* and the car runs very good also I have quit running washer fluid injection since I read an e-mail about how 50-50 water-meth can raise the egt of the engine and how water can reduce the heat of the pistons 6X better then gas so I have been running 95% water and have not had a problem yet.

4. Duner

I remember seeing a pretty good table about the relationships between IAT, Timing, Boost Pressure and Fuel Octane. I think it was in the Kenne Bell book "Maximum Boost". All 4 of those elements play against each when making it all work.

5. THEBIGT

was it by Corky Bell ? and what page ?

6. Duner

Yeah, Corky. I'm at work and the book is at home.....
    If you have the book - it does a pretty good job of describing the relationships.

7. THEBIGT

Yeah I am looking at the book right now but have not found it.

8. Duner

I'm pretty sure it was that book. I'll have to look when I get home from work.

9. THEBIGT

let me know that would be cool to read about

10. 1idjak

I run 17.5 deg on 15 lbs. My iat is about 150. I run a 50/50 mix of 91 and 109. I ramp my timing out from 32 to 17.5 waay early in the boost.

11. THEBIGT

50/50 is a fuel stage, it help but it is a fuel, it change your a/r with water the A/R will stay the same as far as I know, if you are adding fuel to the engine it not cool the piston any better than just gas or not as well a water alone would I should say. anybody that has any info on this please let us know. the 50/50 is great for cooling the iat but I want to know what it does in cc.

12. Bellman Jeff

More timing with less boost would be eaiser on the motor..

The more timing you can run (without detonation) the lower your exhaust temps will be..

Also with more timing the turbo will spool faster..