1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Manual rack install and safety with tie rod ends, etc.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by NeedaTurbo, May 1, 2005.

1. NeedaTurbo

After church tonight I started working on pulling out the P/S rack but was tired so I'll finish it tomorrow hopefully.

To remove the tie rods, do I need to remove the front wheels as well? Then (according to the Haynes manual) use one wrench to hold one part and loosen the jam nut. Anything else?

Also, there was a local guy that was killed at the dragstrip when (if I remember correctly) one of his tie rods came loose. :(

I was wondering, how do you make sure they stay in there, some kind of loctite? It happened to him and then I think the same thing happened to his brother, but he survived. Strange to say the least.

2. 93Trunk

I use safety wire to make sure none of my castle nuts can come loose. I'd guess it would happen only once and I'd rather not see it at all. Make sure the jam nut is really tight and drill a small hole all the way through then put safety wire through it to be sure.

3. braxton357

Depends on what part of the tie rod you're talking about, but as he said...run a castellated nut (castle nut) on the actual tapered tie rod end and use the jam nut on the rack side. Loc tite is usually never a bad idea, but I'd wait until you got the car aligned first then count the threads, loosen it, add loctite, then retighten. As to the guy dying--I've seen some seriously ghetto steering setups come out of SC so you never know what happened. Though, I know a guy that lost his whole tierod on his grand cherokee while driving down the interstate and he survived so there could have been other factors.