1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Manual brakes conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 99TTGT, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 99TTGT

1994 to 2004 MOD MOTOR
    Any body running this combo?
    Any pics,ideas or suggestions welcome..!

Here is the plan:
    Using Aerospace Components manual brake kit. I will removed the ABS, and run new 3/16" tubing, using adapters to the flare connections at the proportioning valve and at the two rear brake line connections. Remove the pedal assembly and drill a hole 2" from the center line of the pivot point to attach the master cylinder plunger. This kit has the brake line outlets facing the drivers side of the car, It will try not to drill any holes in the fender well. I will need to use a hydraulic brake light switch as well, since the stock switch would not connect to the pedal any more.

All the parts I will use you can or there them from Jegs & your local Auto parts.
    I will try to do it, the most affordable & inexpensive way possible with out any shortcuts...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aerospace/026/AC-MBC9401/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aerospace/026/AC-PV/10002/-1

ps# By going with manual brakes and get rid of the hydroboost and power steering pump , should shave 40lbs from the nose!

2. gryphon68

That Aerospace master cylinder appears to be a Mopar style, same thing Stange sells.

Mopar 1-1/8" MC Aluminum body w/Plastic Reservoir. CARDONE SELECT Part # 131860 . . . . $33 at Rock Auto.

I'm sure you can get similar price at a local parts store.

3. 99TTGT

Any pointers on were to get a hydraulic brake light switch?
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63070/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63027/10002/-1?CT=999

I win a gift certificate from a local speed shop for $200
    So this is what I got :

mastcylkit.jpg #ad

hydraulic brake light switch.jpg #ad

4. gryphon68

Hard to argue with free! :2thumbs:

5. 99TTGT

:agree:

6. outlaw

What are you going to use for an idler for the power steering pump? I am doing the same thing and getting a manual rack as well and deleting the power steering pump, but need an idler to use the belt. Any sugestions? Tim

7. 99TTGT

I am deleting it all together . No ps / No ac.
    I am planning to use a 76mm composite 6 rib Dayco idler ,part number 89009, I think it cost $13.00 from NAPA .
    I will re route the belt using a 45.5" belt part # 455K6--6PK1155.. I will be using OEM water pump pulley,OEM alternator pulley & a OEM size Ford Racing billet crank pulley..

dayco p.JPG #ad

dayco side.JPG #ad

8. adam`

hey man i got the same kit as you. what did yoiu mount that hydraulic brake light switch and did you have to drop your steering column to get the brake pedal out to drill the new hole?

9. 99TTGT

10. SHOWTIME!!

Im wanting to do the same set up on my car. Have you got your kit installed yet?

11. yoteehunter

Is there a good write up on how to do this somewhere? Also can you daily drive without the power steering? I would love to save the weight but Im not sure if I would be able to drive it on the street? What rack is that?

Sorry for all the questions I just would like to do this to my car if possible.

12. outlaw

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to fabricate a boss to weld to the front cover and run an idler pulley to replace the power steering pump. I still have the ac intact for summer. Thanks TIM

13. ItCouldHappen

I want to do the same thing but with an electric water pump as well.

You going to the flaming river rack and all or just going to loop the lines on the stocker and deal with it? I think since I only drive mine on the track I can deal with the stocker for a while compared to the price for a 99-04 rack/shaft setup.

14. SHOWTIME!!

I am just going to loop mine. With 3.5" wide wheels in the front it wont be hard to steer.

15. 99TTGT

1. No, thats the reason why I started this one
    2.Yes
    3.flaming river

16. SHOWTIME!!

Just wondering, but where did you find the flaming river rack to fit the 99-04?? I havent been able to find them.

17. 99TTGT

I will try the stoker for a wile & eventually will move to the flaming river rack
    Here is a pick of the belt routing using a electric water pump:

18. 99TTGT

19. 97tntcobra

Be shure and do a great writeup on it like your other mods :2thumbs:

20. SHOWTIME!!