1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Magnum heads

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by franchize, Aug 21, 2006.

1. franchize

Does anyone know if the magnum 5.2 and 5.9 engines use the same heads? I just picked up a set off a mid 90's Jeep 5.2, and I have been having a very hard time finding any info to tell , me if they are the same or not. I have heard the seats are prone to cracking with forced induction, but does anyone have any experience with them?

2. twin turbo mower

Yes the 5.2 and 5.9 use the same heads , And they are prone to cracking very easily . You can get a set of heavy duty casting off ebay complete new valves and so on for 450.00 from a cylinder head supplier on there, or you can buy the magnum eldebrock aluminum heads for 1400 which they are nice I have a set myself on my 96 dakota

3. franchize

Thanks for the reply! When they crack, where do they crack? Would replacing the seats fix the problem? I got these ones for $45, so I figured they were worth a shot. I have a friend that owns an engine machine shop, so I could probably fix these up for less than the cost of the heavy duty ones. I may inquire about some new heavy duty castings tho.

4. twin turbo mower

They usualy crack between the seats , its not really the seats thats the problem its the casting itself thin metal.But run them until they do crack sometimes they do sometimes they dont but most seem to especially on the 360 engines the 318 not as much, less overall heat maybe