1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Opinion on new engine build

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by dodge turbo, Feb 2, 2008.

1. dodge turbo

So...

Im building new 360, What i want a opinion on is whether or not TRW forged pistons are adequte for my goals. or should i use other pistons. Im trying to stay in a budget and not spend a boat load on pistons when the hyper pistons i have in the other engine now with stock type head gaskets has lasted for a while on 10psi/pump and me running the shit out of it.

the new engine will have head and main studs and cometic head gaskets and 8:1 or 9:1 TRW's. im re-using my heads and the cam i have and just more or less just building a different short block.

My goal is reliable 10psi on the street on pump and 15-18psi on the track with racegas
    i already have wideband, thats probably why the motor has held with the cast pistons

2. twin turbo mower

Trw is an old design and are usually heavy pistons. IN some cases they seem heavier then stock. If you want to rev you motor out more I would go with a lighter different piston maybe diamond piston.

3. Robert1320

The old TRW SpeedPros are heavier then most. I would look at SPR
    at a min of a piston or

BRC
    JE
    Diamond.

4. FastmOp

I ran stock rods and TRW domes into the 10's, banging the 7grand chip alot. ;)
    If the rod would have held it would still be running :'(
    If you go with the flat tops, I think you will be more then happy.

5. furious70

TRW = heavy but able to take abuse from all I've ever seen. At real high rpm, maybe consider something else, but with stock heads you should be fine

6. dodge turbo

thanks guys..

not going to be running super high rpm's more a street play toy motor then track

7. CW25

It is what I plan on running in the future. :D

8. furious70

I think GM/Ford guys dislike TRW's more than us Mopar guys. For a long time, those heavy buggers were the best, affordable option we had.

9. dodge turbo

well...like i said im on a budget i just want some that is reliable i really dont care how heavy they are because it is not a race car....just a play toy and occational track use

im intercooled and will have head studs and cometics..and i have used a wideband for a while now...just want something to hold up if i want to turn the boost up a little u know.

10. furious70

IMO TRW's are just fine. I'm not sure what the price difference is anymore, if I could get a set of Diamonds, JE, or Ross's for say, $50 more, I probably would. But I think the difference is closer to $150-200?
    For my 440 in my Coronet that I spin to 7000rpm, I went with Ross's, but for a sub 6000rpm motor on a budget, TRW's are plenty tough.

11. dodge turbo

yeah for a custom set of ross's is like 6-700 dollars.... dont really need those... i drive it every other weekend and take it to the track maybe 3-4 times a year...and the occational street race you know

12. Robert1320

I recommended some other pistons because you said.

That is a little much for a TRW. It is away cheaper to build it right once than twice.

13. dodge turbo

yeah i got the hook up on some custom ross's so im probably going with them since i cant find any 8:1 trw's for the heads im using