1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

question for tuners or people with boost and 3v engines

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by jt351, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jt351

I installed a whipple on my 08 F150 5.4 3v engine. I am just curious on the tuning aspect side of things are tuners playing with the variable cam timing. The factory is able to advance and retard the cam like 45deg or more. In N/A it isn't it optimal to retard cam for optimal power at higher rpm right? But in a boosted engine is that still optimal? On tv and local tuners all i see tuners playing with afr and ign timing but i have not seen any shows or articles talking about playing with cam timing, other than swapping the boss intake for the coyote engine, but even then it is vague.

2. racerron67

I would say everything pretty much is the same with advancing a retarding the camshaft with either boosted or naturally aspirated.I would say don't mess with that

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Sure, you can do it, I've been doing it on 2006 Roush F150 for years. Naturally you won't find most tuners talking about their own R&D, but if you carry this conversation over to Superchargerforums.com I'll be happy to lend a hand.