1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MAF Signal and Flow Straightener Problem

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by DatCompound, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DatCompound

Background- HPX-E in a 3.5" dia housing, blow through. Twins merge upstream of the MAF. I was getting things dialed in; ran and revved unloaded with good response and AFR. Only issue was more noise on the MAF signal than I wanted. See the baseline RPM vs. MAF counts. No noise with engine off, only while running.

To fix that I decided to add a flow screen ~3" upstream of the sensor. It's a 1/8" cell, 3/4" thick aluminum honeycomb. I figured that should smooth it out, right? Wrong. See the second graph. Now RPM surges and the MAF signal doesn't have noise, but it oscillates. Not the predicted outcome.

Now I'm wondering if I try to resolve the oscillation issue in hopes of getting a cleaner signal, or just knock the screen back out and deal with the noise.

Any thoughts on how to deal with the oscillation, or if the baseline noise is acceptable?

Top is baseline with no screen, bottom is with the screen installed.
    ScreenvsNoscreen.jpg #ad

ScreenvsNoscreen.jpg #ad