1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PCV Valve again!

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Thunder5.0, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Thunder5.0

Has anyone used the pcv valve from a 1985 Thunderbird Tirbo Coupe with any luck? My stock one keeps popping out.

2. mustangcobra438

How much boost r u pushing? where is the PCV getting its vaccum source? :D

3. Thunder5.0

12 psi
    upper intake plenum

4. mustangcobra438

Sounds like ur getting too much crankcase pressure or the PCV valve isnt functioning properly,but i could be wrong. mine did this when the PCV was stopped up. How old is the PCV and how many miles is on the motor?

5. gotboosted?

put breather in the value covers the PVC will stop popping out.

6. mustangcobra438

put breather in the value covers the PVC will stop popping out.

Gotboosted is on to somethin :2thumbs: :clap:

7. jt351

More importantly where is the breater going?? the breather must be vented to atmosphere or at least be before turbo, but I don't recommend that. PCV's are great for daily commute and rarely boosting, but if this is a fun car that your boosting all the time, then essentially you don't have a pcv valve anyway, they only are working when engine is under a vacuum. i.e. boost means no vacuum.

8. Daddy

From what I've read the replacement PCV valves are the culprits no matter what vehicle it's intended for (stock or Turbocoupe). So if you're going to get one an OEM piece is the one to get based on what I've read.

On a side note, a PCV valve is just a check valve, so if you really want something in there a check valve will do the same thing.....although finding one to fit right in the grommet might be tough.

Why are you getting so much boost in the crankcase so as to pop out the PCV valve? Are you sure you've blocked off any access for the boost to get into the crankcase (aka the nipple from the TB to the oil filler neck on a 5.0 Ford)? Are you getting blow by? It just seems like the boost/oil would be coming out of a lot of different holes before it would pop out the PCV valve, unless it's really loose in the grommet in which case it won't matter what PCV valve you use.

9. TERRIBLE

ditch the pcv valve and plug the holes and vent the valve covers! Worked for me!

10. arnold23

I had the same problem until I put a breather on the valve cover and also replaced the PCV valve with a new one from Ford. The old one was a little lose.