1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cam selection

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Remco R, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Remco R

I don't know it any more , too many camshafts to choose. certainly don't want anything that works in the high rpm range, 6K is about the maximum.
    Car Chevrolet C 30 dually a 7000 pound truck. Engine 454 twin GT 45 turbos feeding a 12/71 supercharger. propane fuel, megasquirt pro ECU for ignition and fuel, Supercharger about 8 psi, the turbos should do the rest, in the high 20s should be able to run on propane. But which camshaft or in which direction should I look.
    thanks remco

2. sam51

Here's the specs I'm using in my 5.9 magnum, which was a truck motor.
    Comp Cams
    Adv. dur 264/274
    lift .512/.512 @.050 210/220
    lobe sep 114
    operating range 900-5200
    This is a very mild build for street driving, my redline is 5500 so it all works well together. I have a 78/75 single turbo currently making 5 psi but I'll doubling that in the near future, I just needed to work out any bugs with low boost so I don't kill anything.

Remco R likes this.
  3. tbird

whats the application/use?

Remco R likes this.
  4. Remco R

As I wrote it,s for a 7000 pound dually truck .
    Not one stock part left in the engine. all forged internals. aloy heads , etc Detroit Locker
    Higher boost levels.
    Application FUN Tire fryer. Faster 0-60 that those suits in their audi Q8s overhere in the Netherlands .
    Might take it to the track if it ends up fast enough .

5. B E N

I think with 454" you will want something in the 268-272° advertised duration range. Should peak close to 5700 and you will shift by 6k. The blower and displacement will cover any issues low in the RPM range and it will freight train at the top.

Remco R likes this.