1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lets talk tube benders...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Lance, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Lance

I had a thread in the DIY section where I'm toying with a bender design and its seems there is more bender talk here...
    I've seen the ones build with the E-bay plans, to me they look like they could be simpler? Maybe its the fact that I have racks of cold rolled 1018 :huh:
    Here's some snaps of my model...

I've got a protoype working and I'm able to get a full 90 in one shot without ANY moving problems using the arm to ROLL the bend (the end it fixed to the die).
    It uses an HF air/hydro crane jack ($100) and I think I'm going to build one to accept protools main dies (as my lathe isn't big enough to turn the die).

There is quite a few benders but they all seemed either very costly and/or lots of work just for 1 90 bend.

It might turn into a complete product, kit, or maybe just plans.

Any comments/advice?

bdr1.jpg #ad

bdr2.jpg #ad

2. jeepwilson

If you can bend a 90 in one shot that`s great.Me and a friend bought a pro-tool about 6 years ago and I bent a little with it but you`re right it is a pain to bend a 90 if you got to stop and move the pin.Not to mention if you got a piece in it with multiple bends and when you go to move the pin the pipe moves.When you get done with it let`s see some pics.The last dies I bought were $320,Have they came down any?

3. Lance

Well, I've done a bit more research... There 's a bender that goes for ~$400 with a die, tubetech I believe but that is a manual lever bender.
    And it still needs at least 1 reset for a 90. I'm thinking I'll put it out as a bolt-together kit

Anyhow, here's a vid of my bender in action.
    http://www.jgsturbo.com/bender.mpg

And here's my first project

bender 007.jpg #ad

4. chromeyellow

you thought of a price and/or when you'd start selling them?

James

5. Lance

I need to run down parts, I'm thinking 300-250 for the basic frame?