1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Open Downpipe on Street

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 302f150, Nov 4, 2012.

1. 302f150

Okay, so I have exhaust routed, but since my new suspension has been installed my exhaust is scraping like crazy(sn95 spindles sit like an inch lower). I have single 3.5inch exhaust all the way back, and since I went back to college I lost access to a lift, welder, (anything I would need to make new exhaust). I am contemplating just disconnecting the exhaust where the downpipe comes out behind the front tire and having side exit right there for a while(need to recover some $$ from the 5 lug swap and wheels and tires). I've seen some vids of open downpipes and I've heard mine in a closed shop without one, but how loud are they cruising on the street? I have a straight through muffler now, so basically how much louder will it get is what I'm asking? Too loud to live with or not bad?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. ashford

did this to a camero, ran it as a down pipe for a day or 2 before the rest of the exhaust was built. it was actually quieter with the down pipe than it was full exhaust with no muffler. inside the car was a different story.

3. 302f150

Where did the exhaust end? Just dumped under the car?

4. NOSLO86

About the same as having dual 3 inch -- 2-chamber flowmasters on a nitrous motor. Shounds good.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  5. ashford

yup down pipe ended right behind the starter. full exhaust no muffler was quiet idle, but made it beller above 3000rpm just like an old chevy with glaspacks.

down pipe only

exhsaut on

6. turbostang500

Not much difference for me either and it stopped in the same area.
    Full throttle is a different story! Lol

7. Ackbar00

I did it for years just out of ease of having it. Dont fool yourself, it will be loud, but it is livable. Never got a ticket or anything like that. Now that I have my new Downpipe back, I will never run open DP again.

8. ilove50

&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

It's loud but I don't mind it. No turndown even, ends right next to trans pan. I cruised 170 miles on the highway at 75 this weekend, the girlfriend slept most of the way just fine.

9. jwisthoff

i have two turndowns next to the trans, it is not very loud, street driven daily