1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lt1 with high compression for boost

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by atlas71, Apr 6, 2012.

1. atlas71

Hi guys, looking for some ideas here and I know I'm a little bit crazy thinking boost at 11.75 static cr. Motor is a stout 355 with splayed caps and SRP forged flat top pistons. Motor makes 400rwhp now N/A. I initially had the shortblock built for a 200shot, but I never ended up spraying. I recently ran across a STS kit that I want to have some fun with on this motor. Since my long term goal is for ls conversion, so not overly concerned if this thing blows up eventually. Plan on running a on3 t76 w/ .81ar.

So here's what I'm thinking, looking for feedback:

-e85 with meth kit
    5-8lbs of boost max with a FMIC
    -83lb ev1 dekas?
    - one more fuel pump? (I have a racetronix hotwire kit with their pump)

I'm running the 411pcm withe 24x conversion. Going to boost, I'm planning on switching over to the 2bar SD tune in HPtuners.

Thoughts?

383Rado likes this.
  2. watahyahknow

i strongly advise mounting other dished pistons with a lower compression
    11to1 is allready close to detonating in a natural asperated form , you'll have a lot more fun engine doing it that way and it shouldnt cost the moon if you can get pistons that are allready the same weight as the ones in the engine you can prolly sell those

3. wantabe

Put a video up when u run it.... :doh:

4. half-fast

call it the on3 challenge- one, two, three .........and both engine and turbo blow up simultaneously ha

5. atlas71

Don't want to open this motor up again that far to swap the pistons, I would rather see what happens, like I said, it will be LSx based long term so not overly concerned. I will only invest in things that will stay with the car when it goes LS (e.g. meth kit), I won't spend anymore money on the LT1 stuff.

As for the LS motor hunt, I found a 6.0 candidate motor that will go in, it's a ly6, going to see if I can pick up it up next week. Still would rather have a l33 5.3, we'll see if I get lucky or not in the next ten days.

As for the other comments, you guys coming from experience of high compression / boost and problems are are you just assuming that's what will happen?

6. wantabe

Put a large cam in, to help bleed off dynamic compression

7. atlas71

i've got two cams in the garage I can use.

the one that is in it, 233/241 .600/.600 on a 112

and a 230/230 .575/.575 on a 112

8. Orr89rocz

E85 with meth + intercooler + very cold spark plugs and it may live at few PSI.

I'd keep the cam thats in it for now and try it. Go LOW on the timing and keep it on the richer side and with that fuel it should live.

Many a pump gas LT1 running around with near 12 to 1 comp with big cams. E85 could likely go to 12.5-13 to 1 with large enough cam in n/a form. So 11.75 with few psi may be possible

9. atlas71

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I've got my LS motor lined up now, I'll be picking it up next weekend, it's the l33 all aluminum version. So my backup plan is in place :)

As for this lt1, I found that cometic can make me a thicker head gasket to drop my compression. I know that's not ideal, but would buy me a little more room I think.

10. tsb

i've seen people do it before and have them last, its not unheard of. keep the timing in check

11. dabeetereater

e85 u will be good to go man slap the turbo on it with 8-10 lbs and u will be fine. there is plenty of high compression turbo cars on e85 that stuff is the shizz man. i know ill get bashed for this but lots of 4 cyl turbo pro mod cars are running e85 or e98 with 12:1+ compression and LOTS of boost, its all in the tune man

12. BOOSTEDROK

I say just do it!! :rock2: