1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS9 Head Gaskets on early notched 5.3 heads, will they seal up?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by PaulF, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PaulF

Looks like I made some extra work for myself here. :sad:

I already put my motor together with these gaskets and only today learned that the early 5.3 heads had the notch cast into them. I looked at the pics I took during my engine tear down and sure enough the damn heads have the notch.

Is anyone running this gasket on a set of these heads and if so are they sealing up?

I stupidly bought brand new TTY head bolts so if I end up buying another set of heads I will also be out the money for the head bolts that haven't even been run once! Aaaarrgghh!

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I think the answer is that I am going to be buying another set of heads, but I am hopeful that someone will chime in and say they have used these gaskets on the notched heads and it worked fine.

2. racerdain

I had mine welded up and then surfaced. Not much else you can do other than go to later model stuff. Clevite has an MLS gasket with a coating on it that will work, but I don't know how well they hold up compared to the LS9/FelPro/Cometic stuff

3. MONTEGOD7SS

I wondered if you were going to run into any issues since the engine was so early being a '99. I didn't know what might have been a problem or I would have mentioned it. If I go LS, from what I can tell '05+ is worth the extra money.

4. Beatdown Z

Yea, you need to fix it...