1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS3 vs Truck coil KV output.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Canadas lowest, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Canadas lowest

Hey guys, have a odd question that I can't wrap my head around. On my turbo LQ4, I have the heat sink LS2 style coils running off my MSD 6010 box (preset dwell, not adjustable) at idle I have about 32-35 KV at all the wires read with my hand held kv meter. I switched to the newer LS3 type coils off my 09' Silverado and now at idle I have a around 15KV! So do these newer coils put out more amperage and less voltage? I just can't understand how the voltage can be half when it's jumping the same gap with the same cylinder pressure? What coil is better, the one that puts out 32kv at idle or the one that puts out 15kv? I was thinking with the LS3 coils I could run more plug gap since the voltage is lower? thanks in advance for your input.

2. TurboNova

The heat sync coils are NOT LS2 coils. They are truck coils that come off most of the Tahoes. They are junk, the coil dwell curve isn't the same as most of the others. The curve isn't a linear dwell vs voltage. The will over dwell and release the spark even when the ecu does not trigger them to. This will cause erratic timing.

Stick with the real LS2 or LS3 coils. They are a good piece.

3. Djblowens

or go with the pantera gen-4 coil last time i checked i think 45 a coil