1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS1 heads on a SBF--Yes, they fit...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Explorer5.0, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Explorer5.0

2. Explorer5.0

I really thought there would be more interest in this; did I put it in the wrong section or something?

3. OneWikdStang

Wow...this might be an alternative to a 393w I'm building...I can find LSx heads at swap meets for 200-300 dollars...hmmmmmm.... :2thumbs:

Good find!

4. testchimp

What mods were required for them to fit? What do you run for an intake, head gaskets etc. Are you going to run the heads ported or stock? I did a set and got really nice flow numbers with little work. I wanted to do what you did because i was broke and had a set of the ls1 heads laying around.

5. mustang-junky

subscribing. :2thumbs:

Did you get any further than bolting the heads onto the block? If I had a TIG welder I would do this and try to make an intake for it.

Jess

6. Explorer5.0

The guy that built this engine mentioned making an adapter to fit a stock LSx intake and also making one from sheetmetal.

7. OneWikdStang

I can't reiterate how excited I am to see how this turns out...once I can finally get home, I will have to play with this idea...

8. ShaneH

My only issue with this is that by the time you spend the money on a high dollar cam and a custom sheetmetal intake or some sort of adapter system, you've almost come close to the cost of new aluminum heads.

9. Explorer5.0

and it will have to have a custom cam because the valves are backwards.. IEIEIEIE vs. EIEIEIEI

but if you can fab yourself an intake , it would be worth it. I see truck heads sell for as little as $50. And remember, the little 4.8 makes about 300fwhp when you uncork the exhaust. Full bolt on LS1 extended cab trucks run low 13's, and some are in the 12's NA.

10. svooh

Still cheaper to get some nice FORD heads.

Neat to look at, but silly.

11. Explorer5.0

A nice pair Ford heads will set you back at least $600 used.

Let say you can pick up some LSx heads for $150, and it will take about $100 in supplies to make the intake manifold if you have a stock 5.0 manifold laying around (for the throttle body flange and distributor hole).

so $600 vs. $250; and if you are building a custom turbo setup, CNC cut header flanges will be about the same price between the two. And say you are building an engine with a custom cam- it wouldnt be much higher than an off the shelf cam to have one CNC'd for this application. So you can still build this combo cheaper than buying Ford heads.

12. OneWikdStang

Also, you find bolt on 346ci LS1 motors making 400-450 rwhp regularly, but not very "regularly" do I see those numbers on a bolt on 347ci windsor motor, so I would figure the LS1 heads might flow better than any alum. heads for the windsor blocks that are streetable, but I'm prolly just wrong. Besides, I really like doing stuff that not many people do....

13. Injected65

The bigger problem I see is what are you going to do for oil drainback out of the heads and what are your plans as far as the cooling system. The SBF runs the coolant from the font of the block through the heads to the water crossover in the intake. I would be amazed if the coolant passages match up from the block to the heads and even then you would need to find a way for the water to come out of the heads and into the radiator. If it truly was as easy as bolting them on and fabbing an intake it would have been done years ago. I remember seeing pictures of the heads on a ford block just months after the LS1 motors came out, its the cost of the rest of the stuff to make it work that makes it easier to buy a set of SBF heads.

Chris

14. blacksaleen95

+1

15. mustang-junky

Who does it have to be a custom cam? Could a single pattern cam be used?

Jess

16. Injected65

17. Turbohwagon

untill they come out with a mass produced cam for this swap, and intake/exhaust manifolds, this seems like a whole lot of fuckin around IMHO AFR225>LSX head swap due to ease and i think the LS2 heads on like a GTO are 225cc intake runners anyway. but still cool as hell to see that this could actually work lol.

if your going to go through the trouble of doing this head swap, you might as well swap the rest of the LS motor into the car too and just get it over with :p

18. autosay97

Dude, $250 will barely cover the cost of a good set of heads let alone an entire running ls windsor engine. By the time you pay for a cam with pushrods you will definitely be over the cost of a decent sbf head. One guy in thread you linked mentioned a $1000 camshaft? Not to mention the hours of machinework. I agree with Fiveohwagon and svooh, its neat to look at but simply put is silly.

19. Frank02L

Oh, the new L92 castings flow ~325 cfm @ .600 lift as cast and they are $175 each bare.

20. jt351

Do the head bolts line up with the ford engine??do the new ls1 only have 4 bolts per cylinder instead of 5, like traditonal 350's. But about there port volumes, even Chevrolet says that number is large because it is longer and the intake is shorter, so comparing them to afr 225's is not comparing the same apples. I think this is funny I just saw a horsepower a while ago, they put a ford 5.0 distributor on a ls7 motor or some ls series, though personally I would not lose COP to go to a distributor and msd