1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS1 Corvette Bat wing ugly Pan on a 5.3?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Mike74grem, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Mike74grem

Just a question for the LS engine experts, Ive seen these ugly bat wing looking oil pans for LS1 Corvettes and i was wondering if they bolt up to the 5.3 truck engines. And what was the thought process when GM designed that ugly thing lol

As ugly as it looks I think it will fit well in my car and give me the ground clearence ill need, not to mention they seem to sell cheap.

Any input would be appreciated

2. trbo355

It will fit the 5.3 if you use the pickup and tray that matches it. One problem is the angle and where the drain plug is. You cant drain all the oil unless you jack up the back of the car real high since vette engine angle downhill compared to a regular car. They dont make the best power since the oil gets whipped by the crank more. Most people throw em away.

- - - Updated - - -

It will fit the 5.3 if you use the pickup and tray that matches it. One problem is the angle and where the drain plug is. You cant drain all the oil unless you jack up the back of the car real high since vette engine angle downhill compared to a regular car. They dont make the best power since the oil gets whipped by the crank more. Most people throw em away.

3. Mike74grem

i decided not to go that route now, after doing the match about buying it and it "maybe" fitting only to probably not use it and doing the math on modifying a truck pan i think im just going to stick to my original plan of putting either the GM hot rod pan on it or spending the little extra and putting an aftermarket race pan on it

4. trbo355

Holley makes the best pan but its 450 bucks. The 4th gen camaro pan can be bought in kit form for 370 bucks if you shop around. Most "hot rod" pans are crappy Hummer H3 pans that hang way down almost as far as a truck pan. Bottom line, no part of the pan should hang farther down than the bottom of the oil filter or it wont have any ground clearance. If the hot rod pan is priced around 200 bucks i guarantee its a piece of crap. Unfortunately any GOOD pan is at least 400 bucks.

5. Mike74grem

I really like the holley pan but ive also looked at the Auto Kraft pan which is sheet metal and looks badass. Im still shopping around, trying to stay on a budget when building a car is harder than building the car itself lol. A $600 car and a $150 engine are turning into a $10k project lol

6. 3pedals

I modified a truck pan for my first engine, it was ok, but it only held 4 liters of oil!
    I used a LS1 fbody pan the second time, it was good, but still only 5 liters and the pickup is too far forward for a drag car.
    This time I spent the 399, and got the Autokraft pan, I beleive it is the BEST way to go.
    I spent 675 on my engine, and 399 on the pan, lol