1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS rod bolts

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Apr 30, 2016.

1. vht

I've heard of people changing their rod bolts out on these stk turbo LS engines, I have a new set of stk bolts for my 6.0, but debating on going with the ones in it now. I pulled the piston and rod assy and regapped the rings, but I wouldn't be comfortable sticking rod bolts in it without having the big end checked afterwards. If I have them cked, I'd have to pull the pistons off. What do you all think? It'll see 6800 rpm tops. 06, 6.0, 317's, S475 BW T4, 132AR.

2. Mnlx

Most any machine shop can check the big end bore without removing the pistons. We used to check, and even resize the big end quite often while assembled.

3. vht

I'll see if my machine shop can do it. He usually wants the pistons off.

4. Forcefed86

As many have proven, the factory bolts are fine to reuse. re torque to factory spec and press on.

5. vht

I am, stopped at the machine shop today and he doesn't want to resize them unless I put ARP bolts in. He sells ARP, I done have new GM. Go figure.

6. 73 nova

Stock and be done. Denmah broke his gen 4 6.0 and guess what didn't break.... rod bolts. Stock is fine for most applications.