1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LS Head Gaskets

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Apr 25, 2023.

1. vht

• What is the latest on copper coat on LS9 gaskets? Do you use it? I've heard several arguments both ways, some say , better sealing and so on.they have done it for yrs

2. B E N

Seems like a band-aid solution. If your decks aren't perfect, then maybe it helps seal. If your decks have the correct RA and are true it shouldn't be necessary. Some of the modern MLS gaskets (Cometic) have a coating on them that helps sealing, and I think their instructions state not to use any sort of sealant.

3. vht

Thank, I wasn't but some people swear by it.

4. 55bowtie

Not an LS but I actually just copper sprayed the block. I did it this time around too because my deck is not really the right RA. Interesting enough when i pulled the heads there was virtually no trace of any copper spray. Good or bad no idea. The factory black coating on the gaskets were perefect. I actually decided to re use them as well because they looked that good. They held 15lbs the first go around. See how it works out this time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  5. vht

My heads have had a clean up cut on them, my block hasn't. Deck surface looks really good so I don't think I'll use it. Now if I was reusing a head gasket I would.

6. Forcefed86

The consensus from actual engineers is not to use it. One of the benefits rarely discussed is the ability of an MLS gasket to effectively transfer heat form the head to the block. Coating the gasket stops heat transfer. Its not a "must" as clearly people coat new gaskets all the time. But there is a reason the manufacturer states to install them dry.

That said if you are re-using a old MLS HG on a budget build, I'd coat it to aid win water passage sealing. I never coat new gaskets.