1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What's required to beef up the driveline

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TTFBDY, Feb 21, 2017.

1. TTFBDY

My new goal is to run around 8.90, at 3950 lbs. Car has a 4l80 with hardened input shaft and transbrake, and a 12 bolt, Detroit truetrac 3.42 gears. I just bought a strange 1350 yoke for the rear. Is there anything in particular I should buy(or replace) as far as the transmission slip yoke? Also, what should the diameter of the driveshaft be, and is the diameter the correct way to judge the strength or suitability of the driveshaft I'm using? Thanks

2. TTFBDY

There's diameter, steel material, wall thickness

At your weight from what I've seen others break, you'll want the forged yokes and solid 1350 joints. - Call Strange or any other drag race shaft builder.
    pedaling it breaks stuff at that power to weight. -instant ~1000 ft lb hit when back into it.
    I looked into to a carbon fiber shaft for my nova. mostly for safety. but they are about $1600 for a QA1.

You'll need 33 or 35 spline axles too.
    Not sure of when you need to go to 5/8's wheel studs. I know of one person that ran (5) 12mm studs till about where your goals & weight are and then switched to 1/2" studs.

3. vinces427bb

critical rpm of driveshaft at speed would help identify the diameter, material of driveshaft
    also a good girdle on 12bolt rear
    forged 12bolt caps and studs would be a plus:popcorn:

4. actmobmar

car currently has a 3" .080 wall thickness driveshaft, with 1350 u joints, 44" long, so it does meet critical speed requirements. Was unsure if this shaft was strong enough though. I already have 33 spline axles, c clip eliminators and the rear cover with main cap braces.

5. TTFBDY

The first post of this thread is not mine.... I think this was the thread I was in when they upgraded the site and I couldn't get back to this post.