1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LQ4 starter issue

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by GARY JR, Feb 14, 2017.

1. GARY JR

I'm having a starter "run on" issue in my 6.0 fox body. I am still using the factory remote solenoid. This set up worked fine with previous small and big block chevys in this car. I have the main big lead running from the solenoid down to the big stud on the starter, then a jumper wire running from the big stud to the small stud. I tried removing the jumper but would not crank. Starter runs for about 2-3 seconds after the engine fires. Thanks

2. 434chevelle

I just went through this. Mine wouldn't stop running after 2-3 seconds. It ended up being a bad starter.

3. Bad Medicine Racing

We had the same issue on a Fairmont I LS swapped. Ended up just ditching the ford solenoid to solve the problem. For some reason LS starters don't approve of that method.

4. TTFBDY

They are a permanent magnet motor so they will generate enough voltage to keep the stock stater sol engaged if they are wired up wrong. They need to have power from only one source on the small stud. Stock has a small relay to power them which keeps the high current load off of the key switch.