1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. fxbdydriver

Planning my 5.3 turbo street car... I have lq4 cam which is same as small ls1 cam. It is small improvement over the 5.3, a little more overlap, lift, and lobe separation. Would this work good with powerglide, 2.73 gear, 3100 lbs., considering I need torgue for numerically lower gear?

2. H.P.Ranch

Should work fine but remember your on street tires and you didn't want to spin. Let us know how it works when you get it going. Your boost is your torque.

3. Drac0nic

You should have more area under the curve with the wider overlap. Honestly if it's apart and I had it I'd toss it in, but definitely wouldn't pay for one to swap it in otherwise. Even something "small" should see big gains compared to a stocker like that.

4. jay_rich

I gave my buddy my old LQ4 cam for his 5.3 Single MP76mm setup. Seems to be working good for him. Like said above. I wouldnt Pay to swap it in, but if its laying around why not.

Jay

5. fxbdydriver

With the lq4 cam and a powerglide what rear gear? Don't want to lug to hard but trying to be highway friendly as possible. With the powerband of truck cam would the numerically lower rear gear be better? How early would this cam make boost?

6. H.P.Ranch

How much does a chevy truck weigh? What rpm is it at when in overdrive and at 55-60mph? Is it lugging? I would say below 2000 rpm and not lugging. Low gears for strip, 2.73 for DD. Depends on the turbo how fast it makes boost.

7. blackrat48

Ls6 cam less than $200
    Ls9 cam less than $100( if you got the right set up)
    Sdparts.com

8. H.P.Ranch

Blackrat48 can't seem to find LS9 for under $100 at Sdparts.com called them and they were $139.99

9. Mnlx

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't spend the 100-139 on the ls9. From the research I have done, better off to save your money for a good cam, as the ls9 doesn't work all that great for most setups. I'm not saying they don't make more power as its been proven that they do, but in light cars, with some rpm, not something that needs the low speed torque.

10. blackrat48

True.. I ordered one bout a year or so ago and it was like $94(shipped) and then realized it was a front sensor style for the newer stuff and i sent it back and went with the ls6.. And you speak the truth theres quite a bit of low-end loss after a high rpm cam.. When you step on it its lag lag lag til bout 3k then it comes alive..(with stock converter)

11. H.P.Ranch

Its just hard to pass up when Lingenfelter designed and when Forcefed86 ran in the 8's in the 1/4 in a 5.3 "Quicker than the triple 12" and I was wanting to put it in a 6.0 and wanted traction down low and thought 3-5800 power band would work good? When Forcefed86 moved his power band down lower he had traction problems, maybe thats a good thing? Just hate blowing the tires off and not going anywhere puttin on a smoke show, no boost controller spring only.

12. xx_ED_xx

I got a zl1 cam but it is front sensor as well 80 shipped
    This content is protected