1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lower rpm+boost vs higher rpm w/o boost launches?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Unatural, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Unatural

On a 5 speed car, would dropping the launch rpm with a 2 step and building a few pounds of boost, then dumping the clutch yeild better results than holding the rpm at 5000 without any boost and dumping the clutch? My thinking is that because of the lower wheel speed, it might help it to hook better even though you have more power because of the boost. I plan to try this the next time out to the track, I was just trying to see what some of the suspension gurus think about my idea.

2. Eric88T

When you going to the track again man? I'll try to come out

btw, with a 4000rpm dump I've mustered a 1.66, 2-step @ 3700 1.49. Thats with about as much weight as possible at the front of the car :'(

3. Unatural

Nice man, glad to hear that. I'm not sure when I'll be going next. The other day I found out that my turbo header has a crack in it and it's spitting exhaust gases straight onto my WB O2 sensor. Today I'm going to yank the header off and weld it up, but I'm not sure if it's fried the O2 sensor or not yet. I've been having problems with it reading dead rich, like it was getting too hot, and I couldn't figure out why, but I'm pretty sure this is it. Hopefully in the next few weeks though I'll be able to make it over there. I plan on going to the FFW on that sunday, so if you're going to be there, maybe we can meet up.

4. chappy89

I've never run a 5 speed car with boost, so i don't know how to answer you question other than this....leaving with boost is the shiznit. No other feeling in the world like it.

5. turbostang

Back in the day when I had a 5 spd/turbo - I didn't ever hook up the 2 step..but I ran the piss out of it like that. It was slow only running 7.3's in the 1/8 with a completely stock motor and a 57MM TO4B w/ 10 psi. I'd sit on the line about 3500 RPM and when the lights dropped I'd mat it and leave with consistent 1.55 60's on 28 X 12.5 E.T. Streets.. It was a fun ride for sure.. I'd be more prone to use a 2 step now days though..

6. Quiksilver

Is launching off some boost anything like leaving wot on nitrous? I think was the funnest part when my car had nitrous, it hit hard.

7. ziptie007

When I had the stick in the car I personally would launch with the 2 step and raise the rpm limit till the tires wouldnt hook anymore then I would turn down the rpms till the last time it hooked. But thats just me. I could leave at 3000 rpms with 10psi of boost and not break the tires loose. If I took the 2 step rpm's higher I would break the tires loose and the 60ft was bad.

8. Unatural

That's what I'm wanting to hear. :D The problem I've had is that with my MT DRs, I have had no traction when dumping the clutch at 4500 or 5K, but it will bog if I drop the rpm much lower than that. A lot of the problem is probably because I was running at Orlando Spinworld, but it just got me thinking about different ways of launching that might help me out. The last time I was at the track, I didn't have the 2 step, but now I do, so I'll definitely be trying it.