1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Low pressure Pre Turbo meth injection?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by TravisT, May 10, 2019.

1. TravisT

For sake of knowledge and possible experimentation, I have some questions. I dont want to go full fledged rely on meth injection. So I was wondering if I could use low pressure to inject pre turbo for just a small extra cooling and fueling? I have some cheap and easy ideas that i'll elaborate more on if this is even worth it.

So what I was thinking, This is a street car, almost my daily driver....not a drag car by any means...so i'm not looking for every last HP that I can get. But I would like a few more hp and an extra safety margin. I was thinking about maybe adding 1 or 2 more degrees timing (i get no knock retard as is) and add some washer fluid in pre turbo just as a safety precaution.

2. Disney Lincoln

3. TravisT

Might be dumb, but i have some ow pressure misting nozzles i was going to use and I was going to use the turbo boost pressure to pressurize a tank with washer fluid and use it as an "automatic" sprayer, pre turbo. just wondering if this is dumb or a good idea.

4. Briansshop

When injecting pre turbo,I've always thought that droplet size needed to be as small as possible to avoid erosion. A fine nozzle and high pressure.

I've read about using boost pressure for injection before, but it didn't grab me as too attractive.

I have 1 small nozzle pre turbo and 2 more pre TB atm. Running an A2A IC also and wondering about puddling,noticed some water marks in the charge pipe right before the IC on tear down.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  5. Disney Lincoln

There is a kit out there that uses boost pressure and I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I think a small pump would be better. I wouldn't get too hung up on how fine the mist is so much as you just don't want a stream of liquid. I don't know that you could get any misting from a boost pressure only tank setup.

6. tbird

7. westcoastwrenchin

I guess my question would be why are you so worried about your meth system failing? I think that if you spray your meth pre-iat and have a lean afr fuel cut and manifold iat timing retard you have a more or less failsafe system. Meth changes your iat so much that it's pretty obvious when it's not working

8. Forcefed86

Using boost as a low pressure source isn't really more cost effective IMO. You can get pumps really cheap that will provide much more pressure. The gains are proportional to the amount you can spray for the most part. Spitting in piddly amounts of fluid at low pressure won't gain you much. As mentioned you also want high pressure and fine droplets. Methanol is better than water as well... it's less damaging to blades and works as a better charge cooler simply because you can spray larger amounts without ign issues.

By the time you buy a proper tank that can be pressurized or waste the time it would take to build one... A $20 high pressure 12v pump can be purchased that will do a much nicer job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Water-...834315?hash=item46944dc0cb:g:pvUAAOSw9QNcwfKE

That said for about $80 you can buy the shurflo 8000 series 1.7 gmp pump and modify it to put out about 130psi (pressure is dependent on nozzle size). This is a proven very reliable pump.

good luck