1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Removing varnish in fuel lines

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Snipe656, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Snipe656

Anyone have experience with this? I left my feed lines hanging under my car and gravity seemed to bring varnish that was in one line all the way to the fitting end(before the threads) but not out since that would have had to overcome something scientific like gravity. :tard:

I had already dumped my tank and decided to pull off my two feed lines at the rails and point them to the ground where a bucket was conviently placed. I dumped four gallons or so of new fuel in the tank with 3-4 ounces of Mysterty Oil, pulled the filter elements and tried priming my pumps, after 3-4 tries one line started to dump fuel but the other line never had a drop come out of it. Tried 3-4 more times but had the same results so now just letting it sit for a day to see if this Mystery Oil does anything. Another thing I did before hooking my feed lines back up post the filters is I dropped a little bit of the Mystery Oil into the fittings on the line.

2. zona70

What kind of lines? Are these the factory steel lines or are they soft.... I am thinking rotorooter....

3. MORA

You can clean hard lines with some wire and brake cleaner..

soft lines should be replaced..

if its braided you can try some brake cleaner too...

4. Snipe656

Steel braided lines, two -8 ones. Wouldn't brake cleaner only be able to clean within a few inches of each fitting?

5. SWT Racing

You might try one of the DryGas or Stabil additive for removing condensation from fuel. It usually has a lot of alcohol in it. Mineral spirits might work too. I don't think the Marvel will do much. It just looks like glorified transmission fluid to me.

6. Snipe656

Would pure alcohol or something along those lines maybe do it? I could always drain the tank and pure a bunch of that in there if so. I was told the Mystery Oil works well but was told in reference to a car already running so probably does not have near the varnish.

7. Lordviper13

how much pressure can those braided lines take, I am thining something really scientific like bailing wire and a air compressor

once you al least gets some of it out you should be able to flush a solvent thru there and get the rest out

8. my8950

Hey, why not just get some fuel injector cleaner or something along those lines and pour it in the lines, then hook a pump in series with both lines and pump it around for a while? Make sense? The regulator would bypass it all and then just pump it out and fill the tank and run the rest...??? Stupid? Good? Who knows...

9. Snipe656

As it stands right now I can not pump anything through one line so that would probably not help any more than the current method. I might try running a metal wire someone into them just to try and get out anything that is near the ends. Probably going to pull the pumps and have them checked out anyway.

10. zona70

If it were me and the lines are soft braided types plugged solid with varnish I would take them off and flex them repeatedly to get things broken loose then apply pressurized air to get some flow through them. After that I would throw both ends of the lines into a bucket of solvent and cycle for a while. Don't forget a filter - hate to eat up the pump with chunks of sludge and be sure to use some sort of extension on the ends of the lines so you are not submerging your good braided lines....

My 2 cents...

11. Cannon Fodder

I bought a bucket of carb cleaner at Autozone a couple of years ago. It is supposed to remove varnish but I have yet to try it on the VW, the carb is leaking around the linkage and it doesn't look like I can get parts. :(

12. Snipe656

Well one line appears to have none, so I will say it has next to none. The other line is the one that is plugged up but not sure how deep it really goes. The pumps have no pre-filters because Kinsler told me I did not need any, going to suck if they are damaged now because of what they told me but shit happens.

To pull the lines off the car I would have to cut the ends off and I am not sure there is enough slack to then put new ends on them, so basically I would be looking at replacing my lines at that point.

I am going to try to prime the pumps again tomorrow night and if only one line puts out fuel then I will drain the tank and probably try carb cleaner or brake cleaner along with some wire on the plugged line to see if that helps me any. Will send the pumps off as well after the holiday to have them flow tested. If it needs new lines I will probably just send it off to a shop.

I am surprised with all these none running cars on here that no one has ran into this :tard:

13. SWT Racing

I didn't realize the blockage was that bad. How long has this been sitting to get that kind of blockage with varnish?

14. Snipe656

I really am unsure as to how long that fuel has been in the tank.

15. TurboShortBus

Hmm, the lines are actually plugged with varnish? Check for something else, like bugs or wasp nests or various rodents or something. I have a car that has been sitting with the same half-tank of gasoline for almost 2 years. I swapped engines in it last weekend, and it fired right up on the old, shitty gas. If anything is a varnish candidate, this car is (was). I'll probably dump in a bottle of carb cleaner and about 7 gallons of fresh gas to dilute the old crap.

Mark

16. Snipe656

Who knows, maybe one pump is not working so fuel has been sitting in one line for years. The car fired up last Feb and I idled it for a few seconds, but the car could run on just one pump.

17. ricky

man,thats got to be one of the reasons we had such trouble getting it started..but i had no clue it was that stopped up..man,i have had a car sit a couple years,and it not be that bad..any chance your "friends" at that turbo shop might have accidently put something in there? like sugar ,or something?:(

18. Snipe656

heh ... I dunno, maybe that is what happened. My 928 sat for years once and all I did was put a new fuel filter on it and a new battery and it fired right up, I do not even recall draining gas out of it. The more I think about it, this LX had gas in it when I moved into this house so probably a little over 2 years ago, it was idling a month or two before I moved here. I recall adding some gas to it since it got home back in January as well.

19. Scott02GT

Alright, before you go putting stupid shit in your lines listen up, we use varnish in the boatyards, as a matter of fact, it's all we use on teak or Mohogany, I was a varnisher for some time. The best thing to use on varnish, is Mineral spirits, it's what we use to clean everything with varnish, it's not highly evaporitive, so it won't dry out lines either, get a gallon for a whopping 2 bucks ( I prefer THin-X) soak them for as long as it takes. Then when you think iit's all good, rig up a fuel pump and a return system and pump Mineral spirits through it for a couple hours recirculating it back into the bucket, it will clean the loose shit off the walls.

20. Snipe656

Where is usually a good place to buy that?

Couldn't I just fill a container up with it, hang the lines in there for X amount of time. Once that is broken up then fill the gas tank up with a gallon or two of it and use the fuel pumps to pump it through my fuel lines and into a bucket?