1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Water Injection kits

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Jul 22, 2020.

1. vht

Who makes a good basic water/meth injection kit? I was looking at Devil Own, $337 with 2 nozzles and a Activation switch for boost. Also is there any problem with running the pump at the rear of the car, tank will be on the front and I was thinking of running 1/4 in copper nickle brake line. Everything at the carb and engine would be #4 an steel braided. Where would the ck valve placement be if I done this?

2. Briansshop

If the pump is in the back,the tank will need to be there also. I prefer all braided ,SS or Nylon,PTFE hose.

3. vht

I'll have to make room some where in the front then. Thanks

4. KEVINS

I have used several Alky Control kits and they are top notch.

KS

5. vht

I'll check them out. This is a 33 plymouth sedan and I was planning on using a 2.5 gallon alum tank, gasser style, on the front and hopefully find a place up front to hide the pump.

6. 64nailhead

Been using a a Snow Performance kit for more than 4 years with the only changes being made are bigger nozzle and then two nozzles. Works very well - would recommend one to anyone.

We bought a stage 2 kit, but appears that it is referred to as a Stage 2.5 kit now - it's a progressive system with everything needed. But only 3 qt reservoir. It's large enough for a mostly street driven car. It will make 4 passes at the strip at 20 gallons per hour once it hits 12 psi of boost. On the street it get added one to three times a month depending. Street blasts are no where near as long or as frequent as when at the dragstrip.

7. Briansshop

ProMeth kit,3 quart tank also. Tank size is fine for a limited use street car.

8. Forcefed86

They are all outrageously priced IMO. Just build one. Same nozzles devils own uses can be had for $5. Push lock fitting and nylon hose is all dirt cheap. What you are spraying and the volume needed should dictate what you need pump and control wise. Basic kits can easily be put together for under $100.

As a general rule aluminum and methanol don't get along either. SO may want to rething that tank idea.

If you aren't going to spray a lot of volume and plan on washer fluid or 50/50 mix. No reason for braided lines as the fluid is not flammable. If you want to get alot from the kit IMO. Spray 100% methanol and alot of it. This is where you want good lines as mentioned and a nice controller of some sort. Give us more details and I can try to map out the cheapest way to hit your goal.

B E N likes this.
  9. PEARL MUSSIN

following along... Interested in spraying meth..

10. vht

I was going to start out with VSR's 75 MM with a cast comp turbo, it would be going on a 427 BBC, 9 to 1 comp, cast inon square port heads, JE pistons, H beam rods. 350 turbo with Coan parts, 3.55 gear. This will be in a 33 plymouth sedan so no IC. I'll run blow thru carb so that'll help some with the cyl temps. Viren said it'd make close to 900 at the wheels with this turbo but on the street I'd keep it around 8 lbs. I'm going back and forth on turbo and nitrous and it'll just be something to cruise around in and make some passes at the strip for now.

11. 64nailhead

Wow, that turbo is small for a hot 350 or mild 383. Are you concerned about being too big?

A BB with a single needs a T6 IMO. Wouldn't consider anything smaller than an S480 for a street cruiser with 427ci. My kid's car is a 421 SBC with an S480 with a 234/234 cam on a 110 and it lights off by 3200 rpm's - it's just darn silly. A smaller turbo would be disappointing due to choking it off by 5K. The S480 is too small to run 6500 rpms on the 421.

12. B E N

That is a t6, its basically an s475. Good fit for the package.

13. Mnlx

All depends on how stout it is na. If it makes much more than 400-425 fwhp na it's going to be off the map, especially with marginal intercooling. I would definitely consider some pre turbo meth. I consider Viren to be a good source for info, but I don't see this as 900 whp capable.

14. vht

I was going by what he told me, I figured with turbo I could update to one of his GT55's. The motor will make over 500 HP with the T ram I had on it, now it's going to have a 850 DP and a Team G intake. I was going to run a spacer and put a nozzle in the front and rear of it and have it to come on at 6 lbs. As far as HP, I'd be happy with 750 to 800 at the rear wheels for now. I thought about twins but figured it'd be easier and cheaper to go with a single. Also, would a 50/50 mix of meth and water be ok or straight meth?

15. Forcefed86

Virens S480 isn't that much more and it's better suited to your setup. H0nestly I'd bite the bullet on a motor that healthy and buy a real S480 with the 1.58 T6 hotside. Esp. if you ever want more power. Might also look at on3's big turbo line. they are lighter weight, and you can get a cast 94/103 for 850. MUCH better suited for your engine IMO.

https://www.on3performance.com/shop...ger-t6-stainless-v-band-exhaust-housing-copy/

Twins are a better deal all around and are cheaper. 2 of the $270 billet 78/75s would work really well and only be $540 shipped for the pair. Plumbing 2 3" exhaust pipes is MUCH easier than plumbing a 6" pipe IMO.

50/50 is fine and what I'd suggest if you aren't going to build a "serious" kit. If you really want alot of cooling 100% meth is the way to go... and spray a TON of it. To do this well you need the ability to progressively spray it, distribute it well, and pull fuel from your standard tune. Also AFR safeties would be a must. IF you rely on teh kit and something were to happen or it quit spaying... it would likely cost you a motor. Then again....same can be said for a fuel injector, carb, etc... So its just a mater of stating on top of maintenance.

16. underpsi68

75 meth/ 25 water.

17. vht

I'll take a look at the 78/75's Viren has. Thanks for the info.

18. vht

Steel city Performance on Ebay has 2 VSR 78/75 turbos, 2 50mm WGs and 1 50mm BOV for $799.

19. vht

I meant 1 turbo.

20. Forcefed86