1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lotsa basic questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by cheap, Feb 10, 2005.

1. cheap

I need to order a set of Cometics for a '91 351 w/ '93 Cobra heads. Where's the best place to get a set,mail order or internet?

I went to buy a set of NGK spark plugs, the iridium type for boosted motors; I brought part #s with me from this site (spark plug FAQ) but Napa couldn't find anything like that for a '93 Cobra (GT-40) heads. The part # they showed was 7559@$8.49 ea., whereas I was looking for 7891s (2 heat ranges colder). Any suggestions? Also, are 2 heat ranges what I would want (351, GT-40s, 8 psi TT, 8.5:1 CR)?

Best bang-for-the-buck spark plug wires? I have FRPP and they suck. I also need the turbo sleeves for wires...

I need a 3-port adapter for the oil pressure sender... so I can make a feed for both turbos and still keep my sending unit plugged in there... suggestions?

And lastly, I think, is what do you recommend for using as coolant and oil return lines to the block? I'm missing the preformed lines the turbo kit was supposed to come with, and am afraid if I try using just regular lines like the ones Ace hardware sells, I'll burn em up. I'm also gonna need one oil feed line (I only have one, for some reason) and I don't think that's anything locals will be able to help me out with. I don't have a vise or real workbench, so I don't know how well I'd be able to "make" a line using parts like from Earls.

Thanks for the help.

2. Disney Lincoln

You can get the Cometics from site sponsors here, and will be hard pressed to beat their prices anywhere. Click the link for the list of vendors at teh top of this page.

Go to a site sponsor for your plugs, that NAPA isn't going to be much help to you. I would also start out with regular NGK plugs, and save the Iridiums til I got the tune right so I didnt waste a set right off the bat.

Bang for the buck plug wires would haev to be the Summit Universals. You build them yourself, so you can rougte them away from heat.

3 port T for the oil feel can come from the hardware store. Just get a brass tee with 3 female 1/8" npt ports.

Hope that helps!!

3. Ackbar00

:withstu:

4. cheap

The tune is getting done right after the turbo install. In fact, while driving to the tuners I'm gonna be running N/A (the intercooler output isn't gonna be hooked into my intake) and I'm gonna be swapping injectors in the dyno's parking lot. So, the first time it's run with boost will be on the dyno. Might as well get the plugs I want now, and save myself a lot of work swapping them out the next day, right?

5. Disney Lincoln

No. Might as well tune it on the regualr NGK's and then swap the Iridiums into it when its tuned out.

Better safe than sorry, unless your have more money than brains, then in that case, by all means, waste $100 in plugs.

6. cheap

Ok, I didn't know the Iridiums were that easy to mess up. Thanks for the tip, I'll stick with the Autolites (but regap them to .035) until after the tune.

Dave