1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Innovate WB02 troubles....

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Stroked-Z, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Stroked-Z

This god damn thing hasnt been working all season......changed the sensor and it still doesnt work.

Fluctuates once in a while & goes from 9s to 20s in about 2 seconds, then shows 02 on the guages, then reads again from 9s to 20s. I think im gonna take a small vid of it to show u guys. I've re-checked all the connections, even gave it a new ground, but its still a POS.

Anyhow, been over to the Innovate forums & everyone basically says they are a complete POS......just great....i spent $500 on this POS to stop working after not even a year. I bought it because it came with the SSI-4 and i could datalog other things (rpm, boost, anything with 0-5v)

Who makes a GOOD WB02, that will datalog not only 02 readings, but other stuff as well

-Carm

2. Robert1320

Did you check your wires? pos & neg?

3. Stroked-Z

4. Robert1320

Full exhaust or just down pipe?

5. Disney Lincoln

Where is the sensor located? Does it do this all the time or just at low RPM?

6. darkhrse99

I seen more Innovative wb not work than work. My friends didn't work from day 1. It would read 2 points higherthen th actual a/f. He finally sold it and biought a zietronex wb.

7. Stroked-Z

Full exhaust

8. Stroked-Z

Does it all the time & the sendor is located at the 12 o'clock position approx 20" from the turbo outlet......where it was located last summer, nothing has changed except this POS wont work anymore. Last summer it used to happen, i put new 02's on there & then it would work again....this year = nothing.

-Carm

9. Stroked-Z

anyone....

10. BLACK CROW

Mine did something like that, it is mounted at 12 o clock, I put antisieze on it and it ran down into the sensor :bang: other than that it works OK for the money. hope my dumbass mistake helps :D Scott....

11. ford-swap

For the wideband, I will say, as I always do. Buy the NGK AFX. I say that cause I make it. Guess that makes me biased.

If you want something that does several things properly (ie wideband O2, data logging, multiple other measurements) you have to spend money. If you want stuff that doesn't give the same answer twice, and does many things poorly then you have inexpensive options.

To do things reasonably well, and on a budget takes more thought.

Buy a data acquisition board: http://www.dataq.com/ http://www.datatranslation.com/ www.ni.com ... there are tons of options here. Racepak is NOT the best option here (just being honest, not trying to bash). Put the laptop in the car and record data.

OEM's spend many more times what a car is worth instrumenting it. Why? Because it is worth it!

-Rob

12. Matt Cramer

Where exactly is it grounded?

13. Millhouse

When exactly is it doing this? Is it under WOT only or during normal closed loop operation as well? Do you have any exhaust leaks?

There are many possible valid reasons for the wideband to show dead lean from time to time....including exhaust leaks & misfires. I myself just had an issue with the innovative giving me dead lean spikes whitout any noticeable stumbles with the engine itself. It turned out to be a bad plug wire that was causing the misfire and showing a dead lean condition. I would never had known it was happening unless I had a wideband that was able to detect it.

From my experience, the only times my innovative wideband has shown wierd data is when there is actually something wrong with the car. I re-calibrate it every few months and at the beginning of the season and it performs flawlessly.

14. 79Sleeper

From what I've seen the price vs features and accuracy of these unit is at the top:

http://www.wbo2.com/3b1/default.htm

I'd also pony up and use an L1H1 sensor. I think those POS bosch sensor's are half the problem.

fwiw, I'm going on 5 years now with my homebuilt diy wb with l1h1 sensor and have never had a lick of trouble.

Troy

15. FourEyedFord

Mine has been doing this also along with E 8 codes after it freaks out for a while. I have all my grounds for the unit on separate lugs on one piece of metal isolated from the chassis, then a 10 guage wire runs from that piece of metal all the way back to the battery. I talked to innovate's tech guy, and he said that the sensor is actually cooling from the exhaust. ( Sounds like it doesn't make any sence, I know) He told me to weld another O2 bung on top of the existing one in my down pipe to pull the sensor out of the exhaust stream more. It should be aprox. a 2" thick bung then, and he says the problems should go away. Does yours work on and off or does it not work entirely?

~Bobby

16. Stroked-Z

Mine doesnt work at all.....

This weekend at the track. i installed my old wideband & left the original 02 in the downpipe, worked like a charm.

The problem is the POS Innovate system, not the sensors.

Now i just gotta yank it out, send it for warranty & then sell it, i dont trust it anymore

-Carm

17. tomyb1976

I had troubles with mine as well,I finally gave up and got a FAST WB controller,worked great till I replaced that with a BS3 system whitch has a WB build in.