1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

lost 4mph at the track????

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by white88lx, Apr 21, 2008.

1. white88lx

okay, the only different in the set up from last time running is full exhaust, last time i had an open downpipe and that was it then i got the exhaust dual 2 1/2 pipes with magnaflow mufflers and the tail pipes going to the back, is it usual to loose this much

car info
    stock shortblock
    trick flow heads/cam/intake
    3:73 gears
    B&G turbo kit with 66mm turbo
    255 fuel pump with 42 injectors

ave mph is 129 mph,
    last mph was 125, i like my mph, where did it go??????

2. rickyhaiber

Track conditions, temp., driving, and the opend downpipe to full exhaust can easily make up that 4mph so it's hard to exactly say.

3. Ackbar00

I have heard of this as well. You could put a cutout back up near the downpipe, that might net you back 3 of the 4 MPH.

4. white88lx

anybody else!!!!!!!!! :huh: :'( :bah: :bang: >:( :ahah: :doh: lol got bored,

any more assumptions or whatever would be great

5. rickyhaiber

What do you want to hear?

You explained that you made a run with an open downpipe and then one with full exhaust and that these runs were made on different occasions meaing diferent conditions and slight variances in track prep, the fact that you may have driven it better one day compared to th eother, all made a difference. There's really no magic answer.

6. white88lx

you dont loose 4 mph over just conditions, both times the track was prepped well and my mph has always been really consistent. and plus, everybody says turbos love exhaust, and 2 1/2 exhaust with magnaflow mufflers shouldnt make that much of a difference

7. green notch

Why not go back with the exhaust unhooked and try it out...I would say that is your downfall

8. Drlee50

4mph is nothing when you are in the 130 range. any number of things could account for it. tired trans fluid, hot trans fluid, bad air density, bad plug, sticky (open) WG , etc etc etc. dont sweat it. make some more runs and see whats up,.

9. rickyhaiber

Exactly. He acts like he's running a 14 second car where it will be exactly consistent every run no matter what the conditions are.

When you run a car that is so modified, you will always have good and bad runs and the fact that he's talking about runs with an open downpipe compared to full exhaust is another issue. But whatever, maybe htis guy thinks his car will run EXACTLY 129 every run...

10. rickyhaiber

You're on an online forum asking people why your car (which had different mods done to it on the different runs) ran different times compared to the other runs it made with and without exhaust. Is there something you specifically want to hear? I'm not sure if there are any mind readers on this forum, but if there are I hope they speak up and answer your question as to why they feel your car ran differently on different occasions with different mods.

HMMMMM.....think logically here and you'll realize that you exhaust and the conditions (the track, the weather, your driving, your tires being more worn out, or whatever made the difference). Doesn't really matter...

11. roozterdvx

Who says turbos love exhaust?
    Turbos love and NEED exhaust before the turbine but after the turbine... ....like hitting an ugly chick, DUMP IT! :ras:

Any restriction or CHANGE in restriction in an exhaust system will give you a CHANGE in performance.
    Take away the restriction and you should pick up power. Shove a banana in your tailpipe and see if you run quicker or slower! :booty:

sorry, couldn't help myself!