1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Loss of oil pressure after going twin turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by lotekinc, Apr 20, 2020.

1. lotekinc

I noticed that I've lost about 15-20 PSI of oil pressure after installing my twin turbo setup on my 347 ci HO Ford. NA I was running 60 PSI at idle. FI I'm running 35-40 at idle. This isn't completely unexpected as I have added two -4an turbo oil feed lines from an oil sandwich adapter which undoubtedly is the root cause. The question is should I add restriction on the oil feed to increase the pressure (but reduce the volume of oil to turbos), or is it fine to run as-is (and run lower pressure to the top and bottom end of the engine).? There's a good argument for both. Oh, Turbonetics T04E oil cooled turbos.

2020-04-20 09_22_55-My Drive - Google Drive.jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. Briansshop

Did you have the sandwich adapter when NA?

I have oil pressure issues also,351w. When I removed my Canton Racing remote oil adapter,I picked up 10 psi.

3. Mnlx

I wouldn't restrict a journal bearing turbo unless absolutely necessary, and at your oil pressure it's not. I would check out the adapter as Brian said, but otherwise I personally wouldn't change it unless it shows other issues.

4. lotekinc

No, the adapter was added to get the oil feed source. Something just dawned on me though. I'm currently running separate lines out of the adapter to each turbo. Maybe I should plug one of the outlets and run a "T" to feed both turbos. This might bump the pressure a bit.

5. B E N

40 PSI @ idle doesn't seem inadequate, why risk the turbos over it?

lotekinc likes this.
  6. Mnlx

What Ben said.... you have plenty of oil pressure, dont sweat it. More pressure eats hp, and is just more wear and tear on the pump drive. As long as its good at rpm, you'll probably be doing more harm than good trying to change it.

lotekinc likes this.