1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

looking to get away from running race fuel is it possible?

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by actmobmar, May 6, 2015.

1. actmobmar

Been running 16 psi with 112 octane when I go to the track, on the street I run 10 psi with pump gas. car is 9.2:1, air to air intercooler, blow thru carb. I'd like to get away from running race fuel, and be able to run 20 psi boost, is it possible to do this with a methanol system (I'm looking at using alky control with straight methanol ) and will I be loosing power by doing it? Thanks

2. sr47

Im surprised you havent gone E85.......

3. Mnlx

Yes, a good meth system will allow everything the 112 will. I personally would run a mix, both the meth, and water are of benefit to you.

4. NOSLO86

E-85 is the way to go.
    [​IMG]#ad

5. Mnlx

I agree e85 is the way to go, but its tough to beat the meth injection for the cost. What does a good e85 carb, and fuel system cost these days?

6. actmobmar

Not to mention, I have a street car that goes on road trips, and e85 isn't available everywhere, let alone the lost fuel mileage/ range running e85 with a 16 gallon tank (I currently get 18 mpg on gasoline ). What do I have to watch for as far as tuning? I ordered a kit today with the 4 gallon trunk mount fuel cell, fully progressive system with 2 nozzles.it will go back on the dyno first.

7. actmobmar

why the water/meth mix vs straight methanol?

8. Mnlx

The meth cools the intake charge, and water works in chamber during combustion to cool egts is my understanding.

9. actmobmar

i was just reading a couple of the grand national forums, seems most of the fast guys running pump gas run straight methanol. been trying to figure out what works best

10. geoturbochevy

One of my good buds runs at 18 Psi with 93 gas and 50/50 water meth mix.

He tried to run full meth at one point and the tune went richer due to the full meth as opposed to the 50/50 mix FWIW however he did have his tune set to run on 50/50 mix before he tried the full meth.

11. 95MustangGT331

I used 14-15psi on an air 2 air on 93 and 17* timing.
    You can use straight water or use a little meth too.
    More meth means richer afr, so you kinda have to tune for it... then if it doesnt spray the engine does on the ground lol

12. Rickracer

We ran 28 psi on a GN motor on 91 octane with a PAC system on straight meth, with 0 knock.

13. racerron67

wow 8.60 @160 with only 12lb of boost. my 410ci windsor can run 9.22 @ 14 lb of boost on E85

turbofreek likes this.
  14. Forcefed86

So did you grab an Alkycontrol kit yet?

Pretty hard to say if meth injection will work every bit as good as the 112 race gas IMO. It would depend on a ton of things. Not suggesting you answer all these things, but they all play a role.

A good IC (Garrett core) goes a LONG way on pump gas. With a properly designed turbo system and IC, I think you could run 20lbs easily with 40-50gph of methanol.

I played with meth/water inj many years in my turbo Buick days. Here's my .02.

Water and Meth Inj are two totally different topics. Each with its own benefits and drawbacks.

15. actmobmar

i got the nozzles installed in the hat and that is about how far i've gotten, been too busy with work!

16. Forcefed86

Did you end up with alkycontrols 100% meth kit? What nozzles did Julio set you up with?

17. actmobmar

I got the alkycontrol methanol kit, unsure of nozzle size, I'll have to look

18. Chuck L

Exactly.....

19. actmobmar

Just opened the box! According to the packing slip, m10

20. Forcefed86

Huh...I believe that's 10GPH. Not much volume for your your cubic inches. I ran 2 M15's on a 3.8 liter!