1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Lost Oil Pressure :-(

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Zacharyx, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Zacharyx

Alright so Driving home the other night the oil pressure gauge dropped and came back up a few times, paranoid I shut it down, went back to get the car with the trailer later. Noticed oil down the side of the car and found a cracked hose on my oil filter relocation, replaced the hose changed the filter and refilled with oil ( went from 15w40 rotella to 5w30 castrol edge since this is the 6th change since the engine was built back in July) Car built pressure so I drove it to the car wash to wash the oil off the side. Lost pressure again on the ride home. Trailered car home again ( yes it had oil in it still) swapped filter from the K&N to a motorcraft ( FL1A), grounded gauge and swapped the sending unit still no pressure. I pulled a feed line from one of the turbos and I have flow but it is weak, like a faucet that is barely on. Hoping to have time to pull it next weekend, there are no odd noises Anyone got any guesses as to what is going on????

4.6 mod motor stroked and bored to 5.0
    SVO heads, and intake VT cams
    Oil filter relocation done so I don't have to pull part of my hot side to change oil filters

2. 1sicpny

did you use the billet oil pump when you built the motor?

3. Zacharyx

yep melling billet pump and ATI dampner

4. 10secgoal

You grounded the sending unit and it had no pressure still ? If you ground it, it should spike to the right. If it didn't that's a good sign for you it's not going to be mechanical, but electrical.

5. Zacharyx

sorry grounded the guage and it worked, that is why i swapped the sending unit

6. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Jesus, I hope its just the guage... seems like that motor is cursed for oil pressure!

7. Zacharyx

if it was just the gauge the feed lines to the turbo would have more pressure from them

8. stangman9897

I hate to say this but when mine did the same thing it was the pump , put on a new punp and in 150 miles it started it again ended up being my thrust bearing was gone and letting the crank move foward and eating the pumps.

When i put the new pump on i used a Melling and it went out in 150 miles. I hope this is not your problem but its what mine did.

9. Zacharyx

I have 2 cobra pumps at the house, I will check it once I get a chance to pull the motor

10. mnm99

Did you try a mechanical gauge. It sounds like the pump , but I'd try a mechanical gauge before I pull the motor.

11. Zacharyx

Did not try a Mech guage, but the fact the turbo feed is like a weak faucet it seems like a waste of time

12. jt351

did you replace both lines to oil filter relocator? maybe you swapped them and the oil filter has a check valve in it and it will stop the flow. can you easily get rid of relocator and put filter directly on engine to see if that is the prob.

13. Zacharyx

Only swapped the one that split

14. stangman9897

15. Zacharyx

anyway to look at a pump and tell if it is bad?? I have the engine out and the pump looks fine, I have about an 1/8 inch movement in the crank that my builder and I will be discussing in the next few days.

16. stangman9897

After your PM i thought i would show you the pump that came off it , its the Melling pump and it droped all pressure and this is all i could see wrong with it and the gears didn't have a mark on them. But the thrust surface of the crank was ate up, that why i said to replace the crank.

oil pump 002.jpg #ad

oil pump 003.jpg #ad

oil pump 001.jpg #ad

17. stangman9897

One thing i did do after all of this was install a mach oil gauge so you can keep an eye on your pressure.

18. Zacharyx

I will be putting a jumper on the back of the stock gauge to make it work like a gauge instead of an idiot light, by pump doesn't even have the marks yours does, I am too lazy to take a pick today but will tomorrow evening

19. Zacharyx

dropped it off at my machinist today, having him check the crank, will probably go ahead and do bearings before I button it all back up

20. stangman9897

What block are you useing ? if you have a 1/8 thrust problem you are going to have to replace all the bearings. If you had 1/8 play in the crank the thrust face of the crank is most likely ate up if you let them machine it you will still have to much thrust movement in the crank even with new bearings. They told me they could build the thrust surface up on the crank by welding it and remachine it i told them no thanks, i didn't want a crank thats been welded on in a 800rwhp motor.