1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Looking for a simulation program for DOHC Turbo Engine

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by MrDangerUS, Aug 24, 2017.

1. MrDangerUS

There are plenty of software programs, like DeskTop Dyno, where you can input your engine build parameters, cams timing, etc. , and get the power/torque curves for the specific set up.
    Unfortunately, most of them, are designed for N/A Big/Small Block Chevys.
    http://gatorperformance.com/catalog_lookup/comp_cams/Comp Cams Software Catalog 2006.pdf

I have not found (yet) such a program for DOHC twin cam turbocharged engines, like mine (Lotus 2.2L 910 16v turbo). However, I'm not looking for a complex program like DynoMation software, but something simpler, just to evaluate cam lobes timing and MOP spacing, that's all. I'm hoping to design a better performing intake camshaft and find an optimal SLA for my engine.

Besides, it would be nice to see the projected outcome of your planned modifications PRIOR to spending parts money and cost of the dyno testing.

Please chime in if you have any pointers for me.

Thank you

2. MCA

Drac0nic likes this.
  3. Drac0nic

Another vote for EAP here. It can get kind of wonky in the ancient versions I've used, but the power levels seem realistic. Considering that was several years ago I would think it would be much improved.

4. MrDangerUS

~~~
    Does it have an ability to model DOHC 4v per cyl+turbocharged set up?
    Thanks

5. MCA

Yes, it will simulate almost any engine you input.

You will need to know the specifics of said engine up to the engineering point, the program simulates as good as the accuracy of the info you provide to it.

You will also need to know the turbo specs.

Only limitation I have seen... it does not simulate Vtec or variable camshasfts profiles by rpms.. in that case 2 engines will need to be built, one with the small cam and one with the big one, and overlap the dyno results.

Try the demo!

6. Vannik

I am developing that part of my software if you want to try it:

http://vannik.co.za/EngMod4TDetails.htm

MrDangerUS likes this.
  7. MrDangerUS

Yes, please, I'd like to try it.
    I'm researching the lobe separation angle influence on Lotus 910 turbo v16 engine performance and possible VVT by cam phasing (simple, two position) graft from one of the newer engines.

IMG_6682.JPG #ad

IMG_6684.JPG #ad

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  8. Vannik

MrDangerUS
    I have sent you a PM. The software can do all that you require except it is fairly comprehensive so require a substantial number of inputs.
    Vannik

9. MrDangerUS

~~~Thank you!

10. MrDangerUS

~~~Thank you!

11. Drac0nic

How do you get a copy of this, I missed the download link on your site.

12. Vannik

There is a "Contact" page on the website, send me an email requesting it.

bridal-shoal