1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help choosing intake

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Tegoby, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Tegoby

Ok. Noob here but only to forum not to performance parts or engine building. I am trying to decide on an intake to choose. I am changing from a NA sbc to turbo and not sure which intake would be better for me. Going MS3 injected. Single turbo. Drag race use only. Looking to put down 850HP at the wheels. Its a Dart Little M 400 bored .040 over. 11 to 1 compression. Yes I know its a lot but keeping the boost low. Not sure what other info you guys need. Please help.

2. Tegoby

EDL-29785_OD_ml.jpg #ad
    edl-7137_w_ml.jpg #ad

Something like these. Or any suggestions?

EDL-29785_OD_ml.jpg #ad

edl-7137_w_ml.jpg #ad

3. Drac0nic

I can tell you I'd probably avoid a production TPI intake although they have made over 700 at the wheels. The Pro-flow supposedly has small runner CSA, which will pull your peak RPM down. Some say that the Stealth Ram has issues at higher boost levels with leaking between the base and plenum although some people say it's fine. I've seen them welded before too, but overall it's probably the best price for what you get IMO. If you're more on a budget Procomp makes a single plane you can get the intake/rails off Ebay for about 250-300. I've heard mixed things on the casting quality but those are the risks you take. I"d probably do the single plane first, a HSR second, the Pro Flow third and a production TPI intake last with the base benefits/limits. I wouldn't worry about any of the stuff pertaining to idle that you see using something like a single plane on a carbed setup, as the port injection should improve the idle significantly.

4. Tegoby

Not sure i know what HSR means. Cant figure the initials but i know its something simple. Sorry my engrish not too pretty. Lol!

5. Drac0nic

Holley Stealth Ram.

6. Orr89rocz

Go single plane efi with 90 deg smooth larger radius curve and lsx throttlebody

good flow distribution and makes power.

have one ported to match heads and to smooth transition in the runners plenum areas. Even out the flow from runner to runner.

i run the victor e efi intake on my 401 making 1200+ at motor

7. Tegoby

intercooler_picture.jpg #ad
    ms3x357c_med.jpg #ad
    tb-4150_med.jpg #ad
    666.jpg #ad

Here is the combo that I am thinking of getting. Any opinions? Should I go a different route?

intercooler_picture.jpg #ad

ms3x357c_med.jpg #ad

tb-4150_med.jpg #ad

666.jpg #ad

8. Tegoby

evua-oo05050002.JPG #ad

Almost forgot this part.

evua-oo05050002.JPG #ad

9. Tegoby

edl-3849_w_ml.jpg #ad
    edl-38643_w_ml.jpg #ad

Something like this?

edl-3849_w_ml.jpg #ad

edl-38643_w_ml.jpg #ad

10. Orr89rocz

Yup something like that should work. You could even save money and buy a ls1 stock throttle body. Thats what i have and its making the sig numbers

11. Tegoby

Do you know how many CFM is a stock ls1 throttle body?

12. Orr89rocz

I believe its 78mm single which should flow around 700 cfm. Doesnt matter for a turbo car imo. Bigger may help alittle off boost if the motor really needs air but like said, i got mine for 50$ and makes 1018 whp thru a high stalled th400. Drives well off boost

13. Tegoby

Any suggestions on where to get the elbow you mentioned?

14. Orr89rocz

6061.com

wilson intakes sells one

edelbrock has a few