1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4BT in a 85 Capri (fox body mustang)!!! Gearing suggestions

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Uglystang, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Uglystang

I have a 85 Capri, I have installed a 4BT with a 727 dodge Trans. I have never seen a 4bt on street,let alone in a car. I have had pump built and marine sticks with 75hp nozzles. Built h2 turbo titanium compressor wheel. Not sure how she will do, should be strong. Any ideas on rear gear ratio? It's a 8.8 31spline carrier. I also have a snow stage 3 meth kit that came off my p/u might install in Capri.

2. Mnlx

Need more info..... how do you plan to use it (street/ strip, towing, ect)? Usable engine rpm? Tire size? Top speed?

Edit: we need pics also :)

3. v8440

Unless you're towing (in which case I'd assume you'd have a truck instead) I would say get just about the lowest (numerically) gears you can find. As you know, the diesel isn't gonna want to rev very high compared to a v8, and will make lots of low end torque. I hope you're running a pretty tight converter too.

4. BoostedDownUnder

5. Kerrdogg

If you are running an 8.8 2.73 is real common but Ford did make a 2.41 gear used in the F150's in the early 80's.