1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Still seeing higher boost than WG springs should allow...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dsrtjeeper, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Dsrtjeeper

I've had an issue with seeing boost as high as 13psi with 6lb WG springs. I use dual Precision 38mm WG's. I rewelded the WG flanges to put the WG's at a 45 degree angle to the exhaust flow. No change.
    I don't mind that amount of boost but it just baffles me as to why this is happening. Ideas?

2. TurboSnake281

Where are you measuring boost source from?

3. Dsrtjeeper

Upper intake plenum.

4. TurboSnake281

Good if you are speaking after the throttle body. What is your target boost? Are you running a boost controller? If so which controller?

5. Dsrtjeeper

Yup. After the TB. Actually; I'm hitting my target boost of 12-13. I have a Pierburg boost controller from Stinger. They come standard in German cars. It's disabled in my tune. I'm just running off of the WG springs

6. TurboSnake281

Well if that’s your target boost then that’s perfect don’t change anything with the waste gates, leave the springs in the wastegates, then turn on your boost controller. (This is me assuming your boost controller is setable to target boost by you of 13psi!)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  7. Dsrtjeeper

It just bugs me more than anything. I can't understand why I'm seeing that much boost on light springs. Why turn on the boost controller?

8. TurboSnake281

Springs are a game, don’t worry about that part. Turn on the boost controller so it makes the turbo spool quickly.

9. Dsrtjeeper

I never heard of that. How does that work?

10. TurboSnake281

Do it and you will see. It will take you back to the future.

11. TurboSnake281

I guess to elaborate more it forces your wastegates to stay closed until it sees 13psi

12. Dsrtjeeper

Interesting. I only use the side port of each WG. The top ports are vents.

13. TurboSnake281

You just simply have to know how your boost controller was required to be hooked up then make it that way with the existing wastegates. Be intelligent and think into every step you make throughout the process.

14. Dsrtjeeper

Lol. It's been hooked up for two years. I've just had a heck of a run of bad luck with every conceivable issue that can happen. The Pierburg boost controller has three nipples.
    IN, Out and Vent.

15. TurboSnake281

I run a greddy profec. I don’t know anything about the one you got.

16. Dsrtjeeper

17. TurboSnake281

Why did you disconnect it if it was already hooked up?

18. Dsrtjeeper

It's hooked up. I never enabled in in my tune because I'm hitting my desired boost without it. I use the PimpXS ECU.

19. TurboSnake281

Whatever makes you happy…

20. Wallace

The wastegates are routed through the controller? If so bypass the controller and hook the bottom ports directly to the compressor outlet. It could be the controller is not passing any signal and 12-13lbs is when there's enough backpressure to force the gates open.

SpeedyBuick likes this.