1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Log headers on a Coyote

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by zona70, Oct 5, 2023.

1. zona70

I'm working on a turbo Coyote swap into my '65 Custom (Galaxie) and even with the huge engine bay, space very tight. The forward facing turbo headers don't work with the accessories (AC) and things are very tight between the heads and the upper control arms.

I'm thinking about building some log headers and wondering if anyone has seen it done with a Coyote? The thought would be to run a very short 1 7/8" 90 degree bend, canted up (to allow clearance of the upper control arms) to a graduated log facing forward. Would love to see pics if someone here has done it...

2. TurboSnake281

Log headers are something I stay away from, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work fine for you.

3. zona70

Not my first choice... but I think I'm going to be VERY constrained for room - and I need to be able to move exhaust forward to the turbo - then back past the headers to the full exhaust out the back of the car (the full exhaust past the rear axle is non-negotiable) and I'm guessing that it is going to be the way that works (in terms of fittment).

4. TurboSnake281

Do whatever you have to do to keep the turbo header setup forward facing, I would, don’t lose the a/c.

5. B E N

It's going to depend on your exact application, I did play with it a little before I put mine in. The stock truck manifolds (gen 2) will not flip to face forward neither up or down stock. But they are steel castings and can be cut and welded. It looked like you could flip them backwards with AC if you cut the manifolds close to the #1 cylinder entry and welded on a new #1 and rebuilt the collector you could get them to work. The drivers side had a problem getting into the timing cover, but I think would be easy to modify. Pics are here, post 60: https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/1978-f150-coyote-swapped-turbos-coming.383603/page-3

Its a shame the stock steel castings don't just bolt on, the factory heat shielding and heavy castings would be really nice.

I think the stock gen 1 mustang "headers" will be a better deal to modify, I haven't pulled my front clip off yet, but after looking at them and a few posts on some mustang sites I think they may just bolt on forward facing. I can't say for certain though since I haven't actually installed them myself. That would be the best solution, they would output low and out of the way so you could set the turbos in a good spot to get the exhaust out cleanly.

If you are doing a single I think the best bet would be stock rear mount truck manifolds, crossover under the pan, and loop up to the turbo. Then kick the exhaust out above the manifold. The truck manifolds are much narrower than the mustang headers and have the nice heat shields.

6. zona70

Doing small twins - and really want them to be forward and high (don't want do deal with a scavenge pump setup). I've got a set of stockers (not sure whether they are gen 1 or 2) but they won't let me run the stock steering box - would require me to do rack and pinion which creates a whole other set of problems.

7. B E N

If they don't have a catalytic convertor built into one side they are gen 1. Sorry to hear they get into your PS box. Flowtech makes a set but they dump forward and down. Your only option may be to build something.

8. Silverfox

replied to old post, oops.

9. zona70

OK - so they are Gen 1 - because I cut off the cat and gave it back to the buddy that gave them to me. I have a set of the Flowtech headers (I think that they were branded "Holley"). They are the ones that conflict with the AC compressor. As I've been researching this I think I've found a source for an adapter that might let me use them. We'll see shortly. Thanks again for the info!